Staggeringly stupid idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A typical innovation by non cyclists, for cyclists.

swansonj

Guru
Also once again Donnington Bridge gets touted as a good piece of infrastructure despite the obvious problem of it dumping you on the wrong side of the road, at a junction, if you try to use it to cycle towards Abingdon road.
A few times over recent years I have parked in one of the side roads off Donnington Bridge Road (where there is free all-day parking if the locals don't catch you first) and Bromptoned up the river towpath to use a library for work. I have always found it completely bewildering where I am supposed to join or leave those cycle paths.

Noru

At least those have been installed on the painted lines in the photos.

Some of the armadillos in Greater Manchester are installed inside the painted line of the cycle lane making it even narrower.

They serve to stop vehicles driving down the cycle lane which is good...

but they're hell if you need to join the main traffic lane to turn right and result in more drivers seeing the main traffic lane as their own space by enforcing the us & them mentality via segregation which leads to more aggression when you are using the road not the cycle lanes.

They also do nothing to stop parking in cycle lanes, cause a problem getting round those who do park in cycle lanes and make it harder for street sweepers to clear the cycle lane of debris.

Reducing vehicles driving in the cycle lane is a great idea but armadillo's are not a good solution to the problem in my opinion.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
'Oxford city councillor David Henwood wants Oxfordshire County Council to install his own specially designed safety feature - called 'armadillos'
If you listen carefully you can hear the wind in Councillor Henwood's armadillos.
Apologies to Kenneth Graham.

Top Bottom