Staggeringly stupid idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Do you realise how absurd you make yourself when you repeatedly make this claim?
To anyone who cycles regularly on roads the intimidation that comes whenever we ignore a parallel facility is a routine experience, and it is rather offensive for an advocate of those parallel facilities to attempt to gloss this over.

Whenever someone points this out there is always a reply claiming that this happens without facilities. Curious how this is always from the same person. In half a century of cycling I have not experienced a motorist telling me to ride on a non-existent facility. Not once, ever. Yet since they built a cycle path along my route to work (and don't try to insult our intelligence by pretending you are somehow opposed to it) this is a weekly experience. I really have difficulty believing that other cyclists experience things differently, or that the population of Norfolk really are the stereotypical inbred morons you would have us believe.

Now I realise that as advocate of those facilities it is an experience that you are never personally subject to, because it would be utterly hypocritical of you to not use the infrastructure you deny is dangerous. But you need to comprehend that this is a real and unpleasant reality caused by the farcilities you champion.

I've had people shout at me to use a cycle lane where there is none present. When using them I've had pedestrians shout at me because we're sharing pavement space (Oxford is rubbish)

hoxtonhopper

Über Member
I've had people shout at me to use a cycle lane where there is none present.

Me too, once or twice in 25 years of cycling.

Whereas it's routine to encounter hostility when one chooses to remain on the carriageway in preference to a hazardous and/or inconvenient alternative.

MiK1138

Veteran
I know that road only too well, I used to use it regularly a few years back, before I moved office.

I haven't had the (mis)fortune to use that facility since it was put in but that route out of town was always bad for cycling on and it leads to where I suffered my first hit & run. As you point out, the cycle lane is useless so I always rode in the other lanes available.

For those who don't know, it's a wide one-way road with 4 lanes travelling south.
Lane 1 becomes left only. Lane 2 is left or ahead, lane 3 is ahead only and lane 4 is ahead or right.

I was in lane 1 and had moved into lane 2 so I could go straight on. However, my position was not central in the lane and a car squeezed alongside me and immediately turned left. I was taken around the corner with it, thrown across his rear window and landed in the roadway while he farked off. I adopted primary in any of those lanes ever since.

Just look at where the council puts cyclists, then abandons them.

View attachment 364555

Use this route everyday, I agree it is a nightmare when coming from the cycle path on the bridge, recently I have started crossing the river on the Millenium (triangle) bridge and joining Bridge St at Clyde Place where they have a priority light for cyclists this allows me to take Lane 2 before the motorised traffic

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, the purpose of cycle paths is to keep bikes out of the way of motorists, not for the benefit of cyclists.
They've just opened a new one near me which, at 2m wide, residents have realised is a perfect width for everyone to park their cars on.

Plus they've put a sloping kerb between the cycle lane and road so it is lethal to try and move between the two at speed on road tyres.

Tin Pot

Guru
Top Bottom