Stainless steel inner cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I have just received some Inner cables from an e=bay site. these were advertised as stainless steel. when I examined them I noticed that they are attracted to a magnet, whereas other stainless steel items I have are not. Have I been duped? I would like to be sure of my facts before I take it up with with the dealer.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have just received some Inner cables from an e=bay site. these were advertised as stainless steel. when I examined them I noticed that they are attracted to a magnet, whereas other stainless steel items I have are not. Have I been duped? I would like to be sure of my facts before I take it up with with the dealer.

Some stainless steels are magnetic and some are not.

https://www.microgroup.com/understand-magnetic-properties-304-316-stainless-steel/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Some stainless steels are magnetic, and others are not. The defining factor of magnetism comes down to the the steel’s microstructure. Martensitic stainless steels (which have a ferritic microstructure) are magnetic. Austenitic stainless steels contain nickel and are non-magnetic.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Name names. What are these "other items"? OP implies not cables.
I was going to suggest cutlery, if taximan uses best Sheffield Stainless, although most current / former residents of Whitby are so posh we use Sterling Silver

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've found the Clarks ones both cheap and reliable / long lasting. wiggle and others sell them. always a good item to top up to "free postage" value with.

battered

Guru
As others have said, some grades of SS are magnetic. 304 is very common, it's used for fasteners, and it's magnetic. 316 isn't, but that's used in chemical and food process kit where it is immersed in fluid. 316 is brighter and more corrosion resistant, but a bi t OTT for a cable, and maybe it has other properties that make it less suitable.

As others have said, some grades of SS are magnetic. 304 is very common, it's used for fasteners, and it's magnetic. 316 isn't, but that's used in chemical and food process kit where it is immersed in fluid. 316 is brighter and more corrosion resistant, but a bi t OTT for a cable, and maybe it has other properties that make it less suitable.
Have used 304 stainless for many of my projects here, and can confirm that it is not magnetic.

As for bike cables - have always bought cheap ones for my clunkers, and no issues :okay:

Top Bottom