Stalybridge to MCR airport by bike on/ off road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Best route please , might be moving to Stalybridge and wondering how to get to work, cycle all way , tram train etc cheers in advance ( prefer to cycle all the way but options open )

Globalti

Legendary Member
Put the route in Google Maps and hit "Directions" then "by Bike". You'll be amazed at what it reveals.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, a lot of this really depends on your time of travel and aversion to cycling in traffic (if at all bothered?). The route suggested by ColinJ is a possibility but with a little local knowledge I would tweak it to THIS if you want to use the Fallowfield Loop. Once you cut out the crap around Ashton and tidy up the zig-zag bit from the Fallowfield Loop out to the airport it is actually a pretty good route.

Probably my preferred option would be THIS as it possibly uses the quickest cycling roads to keep the journey time to a minimum (quite important if you are doing this regularly?). As it happens it follows a good chunk of my commute as I ride Ashton to Hazel Grove.

I would avoid Cheetham Hill road like the plague! It is busy, double parked and cars go too fast for the confined space it creates. The roads I have chosen are more open and spacious, although you will never escape the fact this will be a largely urban commute.

If you ever want to practice riding any of the routes give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. A new cycle buddy in the locality won't be a bad thing :okay:

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Thanks all , I know Ashton as not welcome and cheetham as a no go , just wondered if doable on bike / tram shifts etc

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
If you go by tram, you'll leave for work clean shaven and get there with a full beard.

If it were me I'd just bazz down the old road make my way over to washway- Marsland road- Baguley- Dobinnets rd- Airport.

Did more or less that for ooh 14 years.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Ta
If you go by tram, you'll leave for work clean shaven and get there with a full beard.

If it were me I'd just bazz down the old road make my way over to washway- Marsland road- Baguley- Dobinnets rd- Airport.

Did more or less that for ooh 14 years.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I wouldn't feel safe on Dobinetts/Whitecarr - too narrow and twisting with impatient taxis rushing to the airport.

I'd take a slightly longer route along Hale Road and then use the cycle path along Runger Lane. Maybe look at a possible short cut via Brooks Drive.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Another expert
@Leaway2

I'm pretty sure he cycle commutes to MCR airport
I do indeed. I don't particularly like Hale road it is a bit too busy. I do it, but I prefer the lanes, which are narrow, but pretty quiet (I guess this depends on the time).
If you do go down Hale road towards the motorway, take a look at Hasty lane (left) just before the motorway. It has been resurfaced and takes you, via a ped tunnel under the M60, to Runger lane.
Have a look at my Strava

@clid61 Will you be working "at" the airport. If so there is a Bicycle user group which meets regularly. I can also help with the various facilities lockers showers/cycles compounds, some of which need a code and one, the one I use, needs a magnetic swipe card.

Edit: just read it properly. You are moving so may already be an airport worker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom