Stamford to Peterborough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hiya Irish :thumbsup:
You say B1143 , do you mean the B1443, Stamford to Werrington road ?
There is another option, but that brings you into Bretton. Where in Peterborough are your relatives ?

IOTCB I do the journey often, actually if it stops raining I may do it tomorrow night ;) The Marholm Road and into Bretton is my most favoured route as its fairly direct and not to busy. Or cutting down to Castor if you prefer little or no traffic and the through Ferry Meadows (I wouldnt fancy the latter in the winter). Ive also went via Wansford but thats less direct.

Marholm rd in to Bretton would be my preferred choice (I think:smile:) as this gives me good options for the rest of Peterborough ... the distance I'm not to worried about, @12 mph it would take around the 1.5 hours, it's more the unknown as I won't have a chance to recce the route before we move, would you recommend this route for a commute, taking into consideration dark winter nights, road conditions, amount of traffic etc.
Yip the traffic flow is steady enough that it maintained well but not too heavy that its unpleasant so it'll make a good commuting route. I've cycle it in some of the worst winter weather (2012/13) and its fairly flat so not really a problem even for 23mm tyres; take care on the short section near Hayes Wood where the road twists and goes sharply downhill (its very short though :thumbsup:). You'll also need decent lights particularly for that section.

J4MIE_P

Hey. I haven't read the other comments but Peterborough to Stamford is a great route through Cycle Route 63.
Go onto Google maps and filter to cycling maps, really good route and takes you through Nene Park which is lovely.

Hey. I haven't read the other comments but Peterborough to Stamford is a great route through Cycle Route 63.
Go onto Google maps and filter to cycling maps, really good route and takes you through Nene Park which is lovely.
Yip thats one of the alternatives I listed which is on a good road for the most bit but I wouldn't fancy Ferry Meadows in the winter and its a bit time comsuming at the best of times :smile:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Yip thats one of the alternatives I listed which is on a good road for the most bit but I wouldn't fancy Ferry Meadows in the winter and its a bit time comsuming at the best of times :smile:

I was wondering whether you know if you can cycle through Burghley Park as a bit of an off road alternative almost as far as Barnack?
I'm planning to do this ride later in the 'Summer' to see the glow worm colony at Barnack (and get the train from Stamford).

I was wondering whether you know if you can cycle through Burghley Park as a bit of an off road alternative almost as far as Barnack?
I'm planning to do this ride later in the 'Summer' to see the glow worm colony at Barnack (and get the train from Stamford).
I came through the Burleigh House gardens tonight; you can get through the gates no problem; the entrance through the Golf course lead to a gated bridge (locked) or a ford (if you fancy a swim ;)).
Edit: A few Cattle Grids but high quality tarmac :thumbsup:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I came through the Burleigh House gardens tonight; you can get through the gates no problem; the entrance through the Golf course lead to a gated bridge (locked) or a ford (if you fancy a swim ;)).
Edit: A few Cattle Grids but high quality tarmac :thumbsup:

Brilliant- thanks, I'll have a go at that towards the end of next month.

gbb

Legendary Member
HLaBs covered it all really :thumbsup:
The B1143 comes in at the wrong end really and Werrington over to Bretton etc isn't an easy option.
I like Marholm Road into Bretton, done that a good few times, nice roads, not too much traffic (although I can't remember cycling it at 'rush hour', so it may be busier at that time).
Bretton to Orton Brimbles, plenty of options, some nice routes, some more so on a hybrid but equally do-able on a roadbike.

Top Bottom