Stand up and be counted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
This thread has wandered off and on topic but the call to Stand and be Counted was to cyclists on the forum whose aggressive behaviour towards motorists has led to cyclists being described as a "worry" on a league table drawn up by an obscure road safety group.
No one in the five pages of the thread has admitted to such behaviour, which is quite astonishing as I'm sure motorists would not complain about cyclists without good reason:whistle:.

I am Spartacus.

classic33

Leg End Member
I am Spartacus.
But will you stand up an be counted?

Apparently the number of aggressive cyclists on our roads has reached such a level that they now feature in a list of male motorists worries:whistle:.
https://www.roadsafetysupport.co.uk/news/traffic-congestion-beats-social-media-drivers’-biggest-worry
Have a look around this forum. Even this thread. It shouldn't take very long at all to find the prejudice and hatred that exists towards motorists. Even ones that are also cyclists. I used to wonder why people can't just get on. Then I joined this forum and read a few posts. How can anyone expect car drivers to show them any respect whatsoever when so many cyclists express such utter contempt for anyone that drives?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Have a look around this forum. Even this thread. It shouldn't take very long at all to find the prejudice and hatred that exists towards motorists. Even ones that are also cyclists. I used to wonder why people can't just get on. Then I joined this forum and read a few posts. How can anyone expect car drivers to show them any respect whatsoever when so many cyclists express such utter contempt for anyone that drives?

Anf every thread you join or start you paint this picture of the poor motorist. Is that the sole purpose of your joining a week ago? Come on you can do better than this.

Anf every thread you join or start you paint this picture of the poor motorist. Is that the sole purpose of your joining a week ago? Come on you can do better than this.
No. I was just shocked to find such hatred. Foolishly I can't seem to just ignore it. I can't seem to find an option to close my account either. If the mods would like to sort that for me, that would be great.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No. I was just shocked to find such hatred. Foolishly I can't seem to just ignore it. I can't seem to find an option to close my account either. If the mods would like to sort that for me, that would be great.

Care to point out this hatred you see? Please do enlighten everyone. Specific posts in context please.

classic33

Leg End Member
Try a driving forum and see how cyclists are viewed by what appears to be a majority of drivers. That includes some in the heaviest vehicles that we share the roads with, as cyclists.

It can often come down to the contempt that we as cyclists are treated with on the roads.
We don't pay Road Tax -- Nor do car owners/drivers.
We slow them down -- At times we are travelling just as fast as they are.

I don't drive, so come at this from the pedestrian & cyclist point of view. As a pedestrian who was put into A&E by a driver, whilst crossing a road on pedestrian crossing on a road he shouldn't legally have been using. He failed to stop, but the car was found later having been caught on CCTV when the incident took place.

I've been t-boned by another driver, whilst cycling. End result was loss of the job, due to the actions of the driver. He was prevented from going too far because I was on the bonnet, driven down to the engine block by the impact force of a body hitting sheet steel.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member

What I see is a strong dislike for bad driving - not for drivers as a group. I'd guess that the number of drivers who use this forum will cover the vast majority of the members, since most adult cyclists have driving licences and most of them will drive on a regular basis, myself included.

While some cyclists have annoying habits - which probably doesn't apply to most on here - very few cyclists bring any danger to the roads for the simple reason that the most likely people to end up hurt are these cyclists. Perhaps if you cycled a bit more on busy roads you might understand this.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Standing by for a Grade B flounce....

Ooooh i'm on a face-book group which does actual gradings for "You're all rubbish - so i'm off now" flounces.

Does it happen here too ???

That's added to my affection for the place already.

Someone then often posts the

" This isn't an airport - so no need to announce your departure"
meme.

But I love a quality flounce - myself :smile:

I've got this crazy idea that maybe we could all just try being at least 30% nicerer, and more considerate to each other, every day - whether on the road, or off, -

how do i go about launching such a scheme?? - I do drive a car too btw - but i try not to be too much of an idiot about it.

Dbt

Yup I do this when I think someone may overtake on a sharp bend or unsafe piece of road, the insults start flying pretty swiftly.
I do this too, if it means an overtaking car may push me into the gutter or there really isn’t enough room for a car and me. I don’t care if I can’t cycle as quick as they can drive, my safety is my priority.

al78

Guru
There is only one fleeting mention of aggressive cyclists being a worry, so hardly worth discussing. The primary concerns are aggressive driving and mobile phone use at the wheel.

Top Bottom