Standing up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You're possibly not leaning forward enough. You should be mostly leaning on the bars rather than pulling on them, head further forward than when you're seated.

Standing up and peddling is the body's natural reaction when you struggle to pedal, at least mine is.
Therefore my suggestion is that don't make it unnatural, when you reach a little uphill if you try to maintain the same speed, you will automatically stand up.
It is udefus to avoid pain in various parts by sitting in the same position.

vickster

Legendary Member
Knackers my knees. @s7ephanie dont you have some joint issues (hips, knees, back?)

I can’t really do it on a roadbike, can on a flatbar. However, as I was out of the saddle when knocked off I avoid it now!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought everyone could stand up on the pedals while cycling . It just seems a natural thing to do,but obviously not. If a cyclist can't get off their saddle how do they go on for suspension,meaning when we ride over bumpy ground on road bikes we sometimes have to get our backsides off the saddle. In my case if i don't it can be quite painful to certain parts of my anatomy.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I didn't know I could ride standing up, until, last winter, the seat bolt on my ice bike snapped one mile into a 5 mile commute.
I carried on to work pedaling standing up, with very brief respite breaks.
It helped that the commute into work is slightly downhill.

Top Bottom