Star Union hydraulic brake instalation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dcg1000

Hey everybody, I have some star union hydraulic brakes that im looking to put on a bike, the rear brake was shipped in two pieces, one being the lever with a small amount of hose, the other being the caliper with the long end of the hose attached, I've never installed hydraulics before so if anybody has any tips on what to do that would be awesome! Thank you!

iluvmybike

Über Member
Not a make known to me, but hydraulic brakes normally come complete and bled - there should be a full length hose between the lever and the caliper - the rear hose being the longer one than the front for obvious reasons. You then fit the brake and shorten the hose where necessary to fit your particular bike and hose routing. Shortening the hose is normally done at the lever end and if done carefully should mean you don't have to re-bleed the brake. If you have two separate pieces then you'll need to get a new length of hose - unless there is some way of connecting them together which I'm not familiar with? If there are two separate piece then I'm guessing there's no fluid in the system unless they are somehow 'sealed'. If not then so you'll have to sort that - making sure you use the correct type of oil - will beeither mineral oil or DOT4. Some photos of what you have might help advice?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom