England : Derbyshire Start Lane, Whaley Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I'm planning a road bike route into the Peak District from Manchester and I'm looking at various non main road options via GoogleMaps. 'Start Lane' into Whaley Bridge looks very nice until the bit the car went no further and a sign says "unsuitable for motor vehicles". The section lasts less than a mile and can't be viewed adequately on the satellite view. As i'm leading a ride for a small group and I don't have chance to scout it first, I wonder if there is anyone on CC with first hand knowledge who can advise?

Many thanks.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I am sure I have ridden Start Lane in the past and the surface, whilst not perfect, is reasonable.

There are alternative routes to take for which I can definitely vouch for the surface. I presume you are coming through Disley. After that are you continuing on the A6 to Whaley or are you turning off right there to take Buxton Old Road to Whaley? If you are planning on taking Buxton Old Road (which is a fair climb) there is a turn off right called Mudhurst Lane which finishes out on the B5740 Whaley to Macclesfield Road. It is nice and quiet, hard climbing of course but lovely views.

The alternative is that you turn left off Mudhurst Lane onto an unnamed lane at Holme Wood here; http://goo.gl/maps/15S1M
Now I have never ridden this and there is a little stretch that can't be viewed but looks fine. It links up with Start Lane.

Loads of great cycling around there...so long as you have your climbing boots on

Top Bottom