Starting cycling / Should I start doing weights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
That's a cunning photo.

That exercise could be a dumbell twist exercise where the bell is rotated around the body parallel to the floor.

Someone did mention 'core stability', which I prefer to call 'Abs'. This exercise trains the abdominal obliques and Erector Spinae group.
It also gives the Anterior deltoid a good thrashing.
The Anterior deltoid holds the arm in an outstretched position ( holding handlebars ) and occasionally lifts the arm forward to get a water bottle from cage to mouth.

It could also be a dumbell swing from between legs to horizontal and the photographer has caught Lance at the apex of the swing.

This is more likely, on second thoughts, as this exercise isolates the Erector spinae ( lumbar vertebrae - lower back ). It is a dynamic exercise rather than 'The plank' which is a static exercise.

And please note the two machines in Lance's home gym.
A Smith's machine for squats and the smaller machine by the window is a HyperExtension bench.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

SimonC said:
;)

Dont they sell chips where you live?? ;)

Trust me, I eat alot, I just don't seem to put weight on.

scaryant

It's a dumbbell swing... works the upper body and lower body. You pickup the dumbbell between your legs and swing it upward and then down. I see it regularly these days at the gym, trainers use it a lot in their PT sessions. I guess Lance wants a rounded physique... he does look pretty ripped in the upper body. You can see he also has a bench, he must do a little of that as you can see the definition in his chest - the bench is setup for squats though.

scaryant

My guess is you're under 25.

Wait until you hit around 25-26, your metabolism will grind to a halt and you'll put on weight like nothing if you don't work for it, eat healthy and drink in moderation.

Top Bottom