Starting cycling / Should I start doing weights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

Hi, I'm starting road cycling and want to seriously get into competitive racing. I'm fairly skinny, even though I eat alot, I have a high metabolism I guess. I'm just wondering should I start doing weights aswell? I have alot of gym equiptment in my house due to my brother, so that wont be a hassle.

jimboalee

You will need a little bit of upper body and arm strength.

It is for rolling new tyres on rims when your mom says you can't use her oven to expand the new tyre.;)

ShinSplint

Hi,

Combining the two (cycling and weights) is something i've been doing over the last 2-3 months.

Although cycling is my main thing, I don't particularly want the typical cyclist look, and want to maintain (or even build) muscle on my upper body. I don't bother working my legs, as the cycling is good enough for that. Though I have considered trying squats to build a bit of thigh power for fast rides.

What i've found is that when doing around 100 miles a week, my upper body workout is often a struggle, compared to before I started cycling. Maybe this is something to do with the lack of bloody flow around my arms?

Before working out i've started warming up my arms for 5 minutes. Just warm-up exercises. And it does seem to help. If I don't, I often find I have cold hands, which is an indication of a lack of blood flow.

I've just bought a weight bench to start bench pressing as well. So that should be interesting...

Anyway, in answer to your post, I think its a good idea to start doing a few weights. Just bare in mind, muscle is heavy, so if you build up too much you will probably find your cycling more of a struggle, and if you're getting serious into it, it might not be the best idea.

All depends just how serious you want to get into cycling.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I wouldn't bother with weights at the moment. Use every possible moment you can in the summer to ride your bike. I know it's not particularly dry at the moment, but it's a lot worse in winter.

Try and divide your training up in the year. It's easier to keep motivated. Weights can fill November / December time after a couple of weeks complete rest at the end of October. After Christmas, you're into slow, steady mile building, then a spring time /early summer of speed work before a summer of competitions and maintenance.

Some weights can be continued though all stages, but a 8-10 week focused program on leg and core strength in about Nov / Dec will be the main feature.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's worth making sure you've got a strong core, helps make sure you don't get back problems, which often happens to cyclists.

Doing weights and working out are different things though. You can work out to improve general fitness and be all round fit, rather than just cycling fit. Help to stay flexible too....

Jim_Noir

Ditch the weights, do stuff like pull ups... pushing a mates car, battering sledge hammer of tyres, rolling massive tyres... get a part time job on a building site ;) Weights are good I suppose if you want mirror muscle though

scaryant

IMO. Do weights, especially if you're a little on the skinny side. I've been doing a combination of riding, running and weights for a few months now and it's totally feasible. You really should to do weights on alternating days however - I ride every day but on my weight session days I ride less (distance) to conserve some fuel for the gym which I do between rides. Depending on what sort of work out you plan, you may not want to ride at all to ensure you have enough fuel to burn.

Doing some upper body weights will give you a well rounded physique and a healthier body. You should build muscle and tone up on your lower body just through putting in the miles, but it's worth speaking to a trainer and get a professional opinion - get at least one PT session. It may be an idea to do weights on your lower body as well, if you're skinny you might need it for more power in your legs. Also a trainer will teach you proper form (very important) and how to stretch and warm up/cool down correctly as well as what you should be eating in order to build muscle.

Ask the Olympians what their training plan is and I can guarantee you they are in the gym every week as part of their program.

If you just ride and ride and don't do weights (if you're not eating enough calories) your body will just strip you of muscle. So talk to a trainer/instructor get an idea of how many calories you should be consuming vs your weekly routine to ensure you're getting the right number from the right places. Right now, you may be skinny because your diet currently doesn't consist of the right calories because you're not eating the right foods.

ShinSplint

I am Spartacus said:
Good for leaning the bike against

Its this type of cock-end response which I never understand on forums.

I did'nt buy the weight bench for anything other than weights

I am Spartacus

Über Member
ShinSplint said:
Its this type of cock-end response which I never understand on forums.

I did'nt buy the weight bench for anything other than weights

Audi driver as well?
All I mentioned that having things to lean the bike against is well handy

ShinSplint

I am Spartacus said:
Cock yerself mateyboy,
you happen to be on a cycling forum not a bodybuilding one.
And ask any rider how do they get so fast and it wont be 'cos they can press 100kg on the bench.

If you read my initial post, I was simply posting my own experiences, as I have combined both cycling and a workout routine over the last few months, and this is what he is asking about.

Where did I say that benchpressing makes you a faster cyclist? :rolleyes:

I think we all know the original poster does not think heavy bench pressing will help his speed.

jimboalee

ShinSplint said:
If you read my initial post, I was simply posting my own experiences, as I have combined both cycling and a workout routine over the last few months, and this is what he is asking about.

Where did I say that benchpressing makes you a faster cyclist? :rolleyes:

I think we all know the original poster does not think heavy bench pressing will help his speed.

But benchpressing DOES make you a faster cyclist. At a roadside puncture repair, with good pecs and triceps as well as a strong forearm, the tyre goes on the rim in diddly squat instead of struggling for minutes on end with tiny muscles to push the tyre.

ShinSplint

jimboalee said:
But benchpressing DOES make you a faster cyclist. At a roadside puncture repair, with good pecs and triceps as well as a strong forearm, the tyre goes on the rim in diddly squat instead of struggling for minutes on end with tiny muscles to push the tyre.

:laugh:

Top Bottom