Starting on a keep fit and lose weight drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jackswan

Hi
Started back on a bike in the middle of December 2014 after not having ridden a bike for about 10 years.

Was using a British Eagle Mega Oversize Mountain Bike, which I purchased about 20 years previously. But finding it hard riding along cycle paths/roads, so decided to purchase a new bike a few weeks ago. After speaking to a local bike shop, they suggested getting a hybrid.

So have now bought a Giant Roam 2 2015 model.

Now a big push to lose some weight and get fit. Done some riding on my three rest days this week and clocked up just over 75 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also got a Garmin Edge 200 strapped to the handlebars, makes the ride even more enjoyable.

screenman

Legendary Member
I lost about 8lb over Christmas without doing the slightest bit of exercise, it is about food intake . The cycling may make you slightly fitter, but less food will make you slimmer.

Best of luck with the regime, losing my excess was life changing and I was only heavy for a couple of years.

OP
OP
Jackswan

Jackswan

Less food has started.
The Garmin is showing that I have burnt approx 1300 calories on a ride (not sure how accurate it is) but that is more calories than i am consuming per day^_^

shadow master

Less food has started.
The Garmin is showing that I have burnt approx 1300 calories on a ride (not sure how accurate it is) but that is more calories than i am consuming per day^_^
If your consuming less than 1300 calories a day and trying to burn more your heading for the big burnout,I'm afraid that simply can't be sustained,remember its fat your trying to loose not muscle mass,other wise you'll weigh less but still look the same just on a scrawny frame

OP
OP
Jackswan

Jackswan

If your consuming less than 1300 calories a day and trying to burn more your heading for the big burnout,I'm afraid that simply can't be sustained,remember its fat your trying to loose not muscle mass,other wise you'll weigh less but still look the same just on a scrawny frame

Plenty of fat to burn:smile:

OP
OP
Jackswan

Jackswan

I did keep a record on MyFitnessPal over the last couple of weeks to see how many calories I was consuming after I cut out any sweet stuff and it was actually about 1100 calories a day. Quite surprised at the figure. Never really been a big eater but seemed to have gained quite a bit of weight and could do with losing about 3 stone.
I have lost about 9lb over the last 2-3 weeks and feel better for it.

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome: Good on you for starting in December.
Glad you're enjoying the bike, best wishes.

bikeman66

Welcome to the forum, and good to hear you're having fun on the bike.

If you are intending to get fitter by cycling and exercising more you need to make sure the body is properly fuelled in order to sustain your efforts. The recommended daily calorie intake is 2500 for men and 2000 for women, so 1100-1300 seems a bit on the low side if your output is increasing.

Try to make sure you give your body the chance to get those results you want.

Phyllosc

Welcome to Cycle Chat Mike. I too got back on my bike in order to lose weight. That was in the autumn of last year and so far I've lost just over 10 kilos. I attended a weight loss programme recommended by my GP and the message given was 'slow and steady' - 1 to 2 pounds a week being about right.

I've been building up my stamina since getting back on my bike (after years and years off it!) gradually increasing the miles covered on a single ride. Yesterday I did 41 (a new record for me) and my Garmin told me I used 2000 calories. Like you, I don't know how accurate these things are but still it feels like a supportive pat on the back!

You need to keep you protein levels high. You're body will naturally go into waste muscle mode before it will reduce fat if you restrict calorie intake however you need muscle to burn calories. Our bodies survival mechanism has not evolved since we were living caves and running after our dinner despite the invention of central heating.

It's all about eating the healthy fats and proteins containing the essential amino acids. Just look at what eating healthy and cycling did for me.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a...at-cycling-has-done-for-me.40775/post-3113678
Oh and stay off the bread. There are far healthier, alternative carbs out there. Modern wheat spikes your blood's sugar levels almost double compared to Mars Bar I think I read. Have you never noticed that after eating a delicious sandwich made with tiger bread that afterwards you feel really tired and lethargic?

Here endith the lesson and I hope my passed on researched and tested advice helps you with your goal.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Less food has started.
Most of the calorie counting gizmos tend to overestimate because their users prefer good news to bad ;-)

30-50 calories per mile is probably not a bad rule of thumb, bot it depends on a whole host of factors (weight, effort, hills, headwinds, temperature ...)

Top Bottom