Starting to develop a dislike for A.M. joggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham

I wonder if AM Jogger has put her foot in a pothole and broken her ankle yet. Would that end this debate? If she is lying down unable to move, is she then F.Allen Tree? Discuss........................

Well well, well. Pot kettle black eh.

Behave on this thread all of you, otherwise it will get locked. Commuting sub forum is getting as bad as CAD.

I start a thread. Maybe I should have titled it differently, but since I made a comment in it about joggers being unlit or not wearing reflective clothing I assumed people would comprehend the fact that I meant UNLIT joggers. To those who don't get it, I apologize.

Second reply to the thread is by snorri, who proceeds to basically jump down my throat, tell me this and that about me, on a personal level, based on a post I made????? I guess when your an "uber" member you powers of perception are 10 times that of the average Canadian, correct??? Next when I proceed to reply to him in the same manner in which he addressed me, I get labeled as "angry"?????

Also in my posts I did not curse or use threatening comments, I say it as I see it. If this offended some people then to them I am sorry. I have also made a mental note of these people and any replies I make towards them in further threads I will "child down" my replies to suit them.

I"ll assume your a moderator. To that I'll simply say instead of threatening to close this tread, why don't you simply do your job and address those few that can't reply to a poster with a shred of respect and decency. And when a poster gives back the same attitude in which they are receiving from another poster, either let it be OR discipline the BOTH posters involved. This way your not committing the dreaded "double standard". Seems fair, no????

Thank you.

boydj

Legendary Member
Moaning, I thought I made statement then asked for others opinions???????
Well, you did come on to a cycling forum looking for confirmation of your views on joggers and did not seem too happy with some of the contrary opinions.

If you are serious about trying to change things, then a better approach might have been to go on a local joggers / runners forum to explain the problem in a reasonable way and maybe provide them with some food for thought.

I don't necessarily disagree that runners should take some responsibility for making themselves visible. However, as an active club runner for many years, my view is that if there is enough light for me to see by, then I don't need lights - though I may wear some bright clothing with reflective areas. I would expect that faster-moving people would be appropriately lit for the speed they are moving at.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To the Originator, yes I am a mod, and we take a light touch as possible, but this is an Internet forum, people are allowed to say what they want within reason. It is also a family forum. When folk openly say they post items that is intended to cause issues, then we take a view, and if you can't take a polite, 'give it a rest' then that is your issue.

As many folk have said, riding on a shared path means take extra care when conditions are poor. Local laws or not, a person walking or running doesn't need illumination.

You have a simple solution, get better lights and/or slow down on routes like this.

Please bear in mind this is a forum, so folk will say things harsher than they would do face to face. The folks here are actually very tolerant compared to most forums, and tho mods try to keep the boards family friendly, and of course free from direct insults. Not everyone will have the same view as you do.

Personally shared paths are game off for me, I want to ride fast, it's the road/highway. I show care and courtesy to pedestrians, even on the road.

P&L is so last year, FF. It's been updated as per my post.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Back on topic...

I went for a cheeky 10k run tonight and as its my first night run I wore my new Aldi hi vis rain coat for the first time. I reckon I must have seen at least two others wearing the same jacket lol. I did over take one guy who was dressed completely in black...I did think to myself that was rather stupid.

I was passed by a few cyclists, they were so silent they kept making me jump!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back on topic too.

I am 99.999 percent a road cyclist, mostly commuting. I am fortunately not in areas that are too high in pedestrian crossing traffic. They don't wear high viz either.. This week returning from the big northern smoke(Manchester) I was bowling along outside the cycle lane thing, oh and a blasted pedestrian appeared. They stepped out, others were on the pavement, I used all three brakes ( fixed wheel) and I only sweared to myself trying to stop the bike before I flattened this five foot lady that did not look.

Stuff happens, expect folk to jump out into the road, but if you can't see a pedestrian approaching, then there is an issue.

I haven't been on here complaining that pedestrians don't look before they cross the road, that's life. Be prepared.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Yup, always expect the worst and think for others too...that's what they tell motorcyclists isn't it?

Technically I'm a runner more than a cyclist at the moment (33miles in the last month)... So I like to think I'm sympathetic towards cyclists whom I share lanes with. I always hug the verges to leave as much room as possible (at the risk of turning an ankle in a ditch!)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Very low month for me September, with only 50, but I was nursing an injury. Cos of that, 50% of those miles were racing. Majority of my training miles are in the evening, on lit pavements. Quite often thats all in black. You wouldn't demand pedestrians wear high viz and lights all the time? Thats all I am, a faster paced pedestrian.

Top Bottom