Starting to do long rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycledude

Hi Guys/Gals

I've started cycling to and from work, every day through the week, and have started to do long (ish at the moment), rides over weekends. One thing I find is that even with a good breakfast, I get hungry a few hours into the ride (i did about 5 hours the other weekend, not very fast speed wise though).

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can take as its not the hunger that gets me, more like im running on empty and getting knackered fast?

Thanks

lukesdad

Fruit cakes my Fav.

Hont

Guru
Malt loaf's good - has the right nutrition and is cheap. Can be sticky to eat though.
I generally favour cereal bars, as they come in their own wrapper, keep for ages and there's plenty of variety available.
I've tried sports bars but they're too expensive and powerbars (in particular) don't taste nice and are difficult to eat. Gels are good, though, for that 'get you home' sugar boost.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
5 hours with no food intake is mad. No wonder you're feeling crazy.

Cycling even at a moderate pace will consume between 500-600 calories per hour. This is a conservative figure.

You need to eat all the high energy stuff mentioned above along with salty foods - crisps are good at replacing lost sodium.

aJohnson

I'm a keen fan of Gels, haven't tried the ones you linked but I can recommend SiS gels. I find them easy to consume, no need to chew and give me that bit of extra energy I need at times.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hont said:
Malt loaf's good - has the right nutrition and is cheap. Can be sticky to eat though.

I generally favour cereal bars, t.

soreen now do a malt loaf flavour cereal bar - got some in waitrose the other week

Globalti

Legendary Member
Use SIS in your drink bottle to keep up the energy levels and stop at a cafe to eat some cake. Don't eat too much though and keep it light.

Bandini

I like cashew nuts and some chocolate or flapjack along with energy drink made up from powder. I got some stuff from Boots in clearance the other day - Boots own brand isotonic energy drink powder the other day for less than a fiver the lot (usually about a fiver each) and some energy bars down to 50p from over a quid.

Somebody recommended this site, and I am ordering some of the stuff. Much cheaper than bought, and you can take bags of the powder on tours:

http://www.jibbering.com/sports/drinks.html

lukesdad

My local Boots didnt have a clue what I was talking about when I asked about sports gels. Woman offered me deep heat instead! Anyone know what it tastes like? Its cheap enough.;)

OP
OP
C

Cycledude

Hi Guys, not been on in a while, been really busy, but did get chance to test out some energy gels.
I went for the CNP Cola flavoured gel. Brilliant product. I just nipped into the factory, as its only round the corner from me.
Also came across something called Pro Recover aswell, which I use after a ride, it helps your muscles recover, and definatly helpded. Didnt cramp up half as much as without taking it. Also bought some CNP hydrate for the upcoming hot weather (he's to hoping!!!), just mix a scoop with water, and helps keep you hydrated.

I was like a kid in a sweet shop :-)

Top Bottom