state of driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Strangely enough, I was only thinking recently about how the standard of driving has improved, although it's probably because the vast majority of my riding is in the countryside. It's been noticeable how wide a berth you are given and how people wait till it's safe to overtake. Perhaps the "give them 1.5 m" messages have sunk in.

Not just in the countryside, but in London too.
Over the many years I have been commuting in and out of London I have seen the standard of driving and cycle awareness get so much better from all types of vehicles and drivers.

Drago

Legendary Member
That means being able to drive at up to the speed limit where road and traffic conditions permit.

Ah, there are the weasel words. In good weather, in suitably light traffic, where the nature of the road permits (visibility, curves etc), one one can drive to the speed limit. There is a very specific set of circumstances where one ought to reasobably be aimjng for the limit. At other times, one should drive appropriate to the conditions. Sod the driving test - when it goes wrong it's a judge or a coroner you need to be worrying about.

Not being nasty Brandane , I know you're a decent sort, but you must have some kind of stress management issue. What do you do when you're stuck behind a vehicle restricted to 50? How did you cope up until last year when lorries were restricted to 40 on single carriageway roads? What about caravans, that simply can not hustle along so fast? Or tractors? Or cyclists? What's wrong with exercising your driving skills to hang back and pass when safe? One shouldn't be getting frustrated - one should revel in the opportunity to demonstrate their superior driving skills at such moments.

But a tip - if this sort of thing really is causing you issues, leave home 5 minutes earlier.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think by far, the worse trait that seems to be on the increase, is that when male drivers see cyclists in front of them, they will risk life and limb (usually the cyclist's) to get past as quickly as possible - as if having a cyclist in front of them, is a threat to their manhood.

I have affectionately called this "Tiny Willy Syndrome" or TWS for short
Yes and then when a vehicle is coming in the opposite direction and the gap's too narrow for Mr I Have To Overtake All Cycles and the other driver to pass each other safely Mr I Have To Overtake All Cycles gives way,after he's overtaken you,which means you have to stop as well,even though you could've gone on if Mr I Have To Overtake All Cycles hadn't blocked your path, in his bid to show how oh so macho he is!:cursing:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not being nasty Brandane , I know you're a decent sort, but you must have some kind of stress management issue. What do you do when you're stuck behind a vehicle restricted to 50? How did you cope up until last year when lorries were restricted to 40 on single carriageway roads? What about caravans, that simply can not hustle along so fast? Or tractors? Or cyclists?

Stress management issues? I prefer to call it "Doesn't suffer fools gladly". Those road users you have listed - they are all restricted by the law, capabilities of the vehicle, or physical abilities of the rider; they are not "dawdlers". But I think you knew that already.
NB.... HGV's in Scotland are still restricted to 40mph on a NSL single carriageway unless signs tell you otherwise (A9 Perth/Inverness is the only example I can think of, and that is only experimental).

Reactions: C R

Brandane

Legendary Member
So anyone who drives too slowly for your liking, apart from those restricted by law, is a fool? Have a listen to yourself.
Not everyone, but the vast majority - yes. The examples you gave previously are a tiny minority. All reasonable people are asking is that drivers concentrate on the task of driving. If they are incompetent or selfish to the point of being unaware that they are holding up traffic unnecessarily, then get them off the road. And it's not too slowly for MY liking, it's those that drive in contravention of the law. See my previous posts re "reasonable consideration". And just to reiterate for the hard of understanding, it is where road and traffic conditions allow. Any competent driver should know the difference.

ETA... Your example of a car on its way to Kwik Fit should be on the back of a breakdown wagon.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Isn't this a bit like motorists complaining about cyclists not using the cycle lane? They see a clear bit of road the cyclists could be using which would make the motorist's journey easier but they aren't aware of the broken glass, the dangers of the drain grates, or the awkwardness of being forced to rejoin the main lane a hundred feet ahead. You just don't know what it's like to be in their shoes; maybe they have a good reason for doing what they're doing, maybe they don't. It doesn't really matter either way so why get offended?

In the case of someone driving slowly on an NSL road they might be safe to drive at a lower speed but not at the limit. Why should the right of other people to travel as quickly as possible be more important than this person's right to travel at all? They might be a bit sick and be unable to focus enough to safely drive at a higher speed. They might be in a vehicle that is road worthy but unable to corner fast. They might be in a tall van that is more greatly affected by wind than other vehicles. They might have a heavy load. There are a ton of possible reasons. You cant possibly know what their situation is so why be bothered?

I might agree when it comes to people that do 45mph on a fast NSL road and stay at the same speed through 30 limit residential areas but in that case the danger of speeding through a residential area makes the slight inconvenience of driving slowly outside them irrelevant.

Brandane

Legendary Member
They might be a bit sick and be unable to focus enough to safely drive at a higher speed. They might be in a vehicle that is road worthy but unable to corner fast. They might be in a tall van that is more greatly affected by wind than other vehicles. They might have a heavy load.
If they're not well enough to drive at 60mph then they're not well enough to drive at 40mph.
If their vehicle is unable to corner at a reasonable speed then there is something amiss with the vehicle.
If it's windy to the extent that it's affecting vehicle handling then we're not talking about "where traffic and road conditions permit".
Heavy load? The vehicle they are driving should be designed to carry whatever load they are carrying and within the maximum gross weight permitted, and should therefore not be adversely affected by that load.

Reactions: C R

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
! had a near do while out on my bike yesterday. I saw this car approaching from the left. He had to give way,but judging his car,his appearance and his body language,i just knew he wasn't going to stop to let me pass, and then pull out. He slowed down,then as i was about 6ft away he accelerated and drove right across my path,missing me by about a foot! It was as if this twat was trying to draw me into a false sense of security,going all slowish then he pounced. I'd say he just spotted me with all my lycra and stuff and thought he'd teach a cyclist a lesson as he was an inadequate wonker who just hated mamils. :thumbsdown:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Off me tits mate
Like most of 'em are on that sink estate i was cycling through.:wacko:
Settees out on the front,with slobs supping tins of lager and belching out loud and stuff. Oh and i heard one twonk shouting for "Tyson",which i presumed was his dog. I'm always wary when out cycling and i hear someone shouting for their dog,which could be anywhere and waiting to bite my leg or backside!:unsure:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5260160, member: 45"]Charming. Is it judgment day?[/QUOTE]
And they have dirty mattresses thrown out,which i bet they haven't reported to the council, so they can be disposed of properly!:thumbsdown:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I delivered a telly to one of these "sink estates" on Saturday, they were most loveliest young couple you could ever wish to meet. Fair play to them I thought for such positivity in spite of their surroundings. Its a lesson in optimism for some methinks.
Oh yes,i'm not saying all are bad on there. There are probably more good than bad,it's just that the bad ones stand out and piss me off!

Top Bottom