state of driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd say he just spotted me with all my lycra and stuff and thought he'd teach a cyclist a lesson as he was an inadequate wonker who just hated mamils.

Or, y'know, he slowed down on the approad to a junction to see what was coming and then misjudged your approach speed, in the way that a lot of drivers do when they assume that cyclists are always extrememly sllooooooowwwww. That's if, as I think you are saying, you were cyling along a road and the driver in question was joining that road from a junction with a 'give way' on your left? In that case, you should be able to expect them to give way but they might have made a different decision if they misinterpreted what your speed/road position/intentions were. Still rubbish driving, poor observation, bad decision making and all that - but not necessarily malicious.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think too much reading of the Daily Mail can cause anger management issues.
No,i form my opinions from what i see in life. Add Accrington/Hyndburn to this list http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...the_worst_places_to_live_according_to_report/ I'm not judging from an ivory tower while reading the DM,i actually live and cycle in these areas.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5260180, member: 10119"]Still rubbish driving, poor observation, bad decision making and all that - but not necessarily malicious.[/QUOTE]

Whether malicious or not,he could've knocked me off and god knows caused whatever serious injuries,and there were no witnesses either! I just looked up to the sky and thanked whoever it was looking out for me at that moment. Oh,and i also asked whoever it was looking over me to somehow give the twonker a bit of payback on my behalf.:dry:

Whether malicious or not,he could've knocked me off and god knows caused whatever serious injuries
That'll be why I said, as indeed you quoted,
[QUOTE 5260180, member: 10119"]Still rubbish driving, poor observation, bad decision making and all that[/QUOTE]
I was saying that their behaviour wasn't necessarily malicious in response to this though
It was as if this t**t* was trying to draw me into a false sense of security,going all slowish then he pounced. I'd say he just spotted me with all my lycra and stuff and thought he'd teach a cyclist a lesson as he was an inadequate wonker who just hated mamils. :thumbsdown:
*my edit - I didn't think the net-nanny liked that one?
which does sound awfully like you felt it was directed at you personally and with deliberate, malicious intent.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Strangely enough, I was only thinking recently about how the standard of driving has improved, although it's probably because the vast majority of my riding is in the countryside. It's been noticeable how wide a berth you are given and how people wait till it's safe to overtake. Perhaps the "give them 1.5 m" messages have sunk in.

I agree, I think the way most drivers are around cyclists is much better than it used to be.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5260234, member: 10119"]That'll be why I said, as indeed you quoted,

I was saying that their behaviour wasn't necessarily malicious in response to this though

*my edit - I didn't think the net-nanny liked that one?
which does sound awfully like you felt it was directed at you personally and with deliberate, malicious intent.[/QUOTE]
Malicious or not and directed at me or not,it was still very dangerous driving!

GilesM

Legendary Member
A drivers inability to drive without getting frustrated and then driving in a stupid manner is entirely their own doing, and no one elses. I would rather a frustrated idiot did not try to overtake me, thank you very much. I would rather they approached their driving with the skill and seriousness that it deserves, and sits back sensibly until a safe and appropriate opportunity to pass (not overtake) presents itself. If a following driver is incapable of doing so then that really is no one elses fault but theirs - to blame a driver who is driving in a safe and lawful manner and doing nothing more than going slower that some impatient plank would like is simply victim blaming.

I agree, but just as bad are the eejits who like to display their anger management problems when I do overtake them, deliberately closing the gap seems acceptable to many people.

Malicious or not and directed at me or not,it was still very dangerous driving!
And nobody has said it wasn't - indeed I said in my very first comment that it sounded like it was
[QUOTE 5260180, member: 10119"]Still rubbish driving, poor observation, bad decision making and all that[/QUOTE]
I just think it is unhelpful (to you, as well as to the general world) to present it as something that it isn't.

mustang1

Guru
Thing is, people are always rushing! They need to wake up ten minutes earlier! It annoys me as well..this is when dashcams should be mandatory in all cars! At least if something stupid happens, which is a genuine safety concern you have back up!
I think they will rush regardless of how soon they wake up. They need to have an attitude adjustment. Take me for example; I never rush much to the annoyance of those around me. Hey, if I don't want to go quick, then I don't want to go quick.

Top Bottom