State of the nations health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
I just mean, what can a test tell you about your lifestyle that you don't know already? But then, I don't 'do' doctors really, so I'm not a good person to ask...)

I'm with you on the don't do doctors bit ... although I seem to be finding it a bit harder to stay away since turning 40. I did have mine tested a couple of years ago and it wasn't low - and that was after I had returned to cycling. I know both my Dad and aunt have problems keeping theirs down even with medication and careful diet (especially my aunt). So I will probably have it retested at some point in the future.

Riverman said:
The one thing that I've learnt since I started cycling is that I WILL NOT do regular exercise unless I ride a bike. Some people are different, however I imagine the majority are abit like me and find it very difficult to have a regular exercise regime.

Cycling is one of the best ways to get it because it becomes a necessity just to get around. We need far more people to take this up. It would help our economy no end because we wouldn't have people having heart attacks in their 30s etc and people developing cancer because they're obese.

Sorry to hear about your friend by the way.

I agree that although I used to walk lots - it never raised my heart rate in the same way cycling does and I don't have to make an effort to get on the bike ... it doesn't feel like exercise most of the time - more like fun. I hope your friend makes a full recovery and maybe he will consider joining you on a bike ride at some point.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Just a quick update - My mate is up in bed and hassling nurses so must be better. He is due to fly back to Guernsey next couple of days. He now has the status of first friend to be medivac'ed off island for surgery. Always has to go one better than the rest of us !

Will have to wait till he gets back to give him the look after yourself speech but chuffed to bits he will be ok. Also nice to read positive comments about those who have known or been through this.

Cheers

Rob

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Yep not sure what Stenting is but thats the one he had :-)

For some reason it conjures up and image of a big stick !

Cheers

Arch

Married to Night Train
madguern said:
Yep not sure what Stenting is but thats the one he had :-)

For some reason it conjures up and image of a big stick !

Cheers

If I remember rightly*, they insert a little balloon into a blocked artery, and then inflate it to widen the vessel and restore flow.

*from either years of medical training, or watching Holby City, guess....

D

Deleted member 1258

Arch said:
If I remember rightly*, they insert a little balloon into a blocked artery, and then inflate it to widen the vessel and restore flow.

*from either years of medical training, or watching Holby City, guess....

The procedure is called angioplasty and it involves putting a balloon catheter in the blocked artery and inflating it, the Stent is a small piece of tube they insert afterwards to keep the artery open.

longers

Legendary Member
You've got more stents than bikes Dave?

Are they permanent or do they have a limited lifespan?

D

Deleted member 1258

longers said:
You've got more stents than bikes Dave?

Are they permanent or do they have a limited lifespan?

Yes, 4 stents, 3 bikes. I don't know a lot about the lifespan but I think they are permanent, I was told they are supposed to become part of the artery wall.

longers

Legendary Member
Sorry Dave, I was talking about the bikes.

I'll get my coat :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
dave r said:
Yes, 4 stents, 3 bikes. I don't know a lot about the lifespan but I think they are permanent, I was told they are supposed to become part of the artery wall.

Are they steel, ali, carbon? (the stents, or the bikes)

And thanks for clarifying - just shows that it was all from watching Holby after all...:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Cross posting!:biggrin:

Yep, sorry Dave :smile:

This isn;t meant to be patronising in any way but it's good to hear you keeping very active on a bike or three after such procedures.

D

Deleted member 1258

Arch said:
Are they steel, ali, carbon? (the stents, or the bikes)

And thanks for clarifying - just shows that it was all from watching Holby after all...:biggrin:

The stents are normally stainless steel with slots in, the two bikes that get used are a Dawes Giro 300, ali with steel forks, a Pearson Touche, ali with carbon fibre forks, the other bike is a cheap steel Raleigh aveo that only gets used if I use the Turbo Trainer.

longers said:
Sorry Dave, I was talking about the bikes.

I'll get my coat :smile:

Came back to cycling about 1979, after a 10 year break, been a club cyclist since about 1985, there's no plans to stop yet, though I was close to quitting when I had the Angina.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The stents are about the size of the spring from an old biro, I asked for Titanium, but the surgeon said that 'Steel was real'...

Top Bottom