State Pension Delays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Reading a bit about this of late. Anybody on here been affected / know someone who has.

I am due to start receiving mine in Feb so wondering if I should jump the gun and start the online application early rather than wait for my DWP letter.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Guess this is due to the DWP people not wanting to go back to the office the lazy barstewards? I didn't claim mine for four years and that was a while back.
No reason why you can't apply early so you're 'in the system' and they are aware. Don't know if it will make any difference but you can only try.

All uphill

Still rolling along
From memory you can only apply up to six months before your relevant birthday. I did it precisely six months in advance to leave time for any errors at my end or theirs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Reading a bit about this of late. Anybody on here been affected / know someone who has.

I am due to start receiving mine in Feb so wondering if I should jump the gun and start the online application early rather than wait for my DWP letter.
Didn't you get an 'invitation to apply' letter from the DWP?

I am due to get my pension in February and got a letter from the DWP a few weeks ago. I followed the instructions and applied online. A few days later I got a second letter telling me when I will get the payments and how much I will get.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Colin and I have spoken about this. I am due to start getting my pension next March. I am just waiting to receive my letter within the next few weeks.

I'm not unduly worried because if Colin has heard from the DWP then I'm sure i will as well.

According to the DWP they know the names of all those effected and say the problem will be all sorted by the end of this month (allegedly)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
As Colin says you can apply online at the high website. You need a gateway password. Once you have that you can see exactly how much pension you can expect to get and you can also apply for it online there as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My experience varies from what others have mentioned. My state pension was due to start on May 6th 2020 and it did. I received a letter several months before this date asking me to apply online three months before my pension date.

I tried to make the application in early February 2020 to be told applications were not being accepted until two months before SP age. I returned in March and got a message saying, I think, six weeks. I was successful the third time and it's a very simple process.

I was surprised when @ColinJ posted sometime ago he had successfully applied several months ahead of his SP age. I just assumed the DWP had experienced problems and sorted them out. Nothing more or less.

I read of difficulties in SP payment. I wouldn't worry, it couldn't be more rock solid and provided you apply correctly you will receive your entitlement but it seems it could be late. It's possible the DWP have delays in other areas involving means tested benefits as these will always take time. SP is simple, a record exists, you qualify for a certain payment, the application is processed and the money should arrive on time.

The one thing I find confusing is the question of buying more years. To qualify for a full SP my wife has to purchase additional contributions. The dates by which this needs to be done are shown online. What I'm unsure of is do all the years have to be purchased at once or individually as the due date for each year approaches?

Again if this applies to you it will show online. The online info is simple and clear to understand apart from my query above.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/oct/16/uk-state-pension-payment-delays-age-uk-dwp

Last edited:
Guess this is due to the DWP people not wanting to go back to the office the lazy barstewards? I didn't claim mine for four years and that was a while back.
No reason why you can't apply early so you're 'in the system' and they are aware. Don't know if it will make any difference but you can only try.
That's rubbish. I've heard of delays long before we even had a pandemic.
I see no value in making people go into an office and make each other ill.

Top Bottom