State Pension Delays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
That's the problem with news. Eveyrone tells you different things

Sorry - I meant to include a link. Thousands still waiting for their state pensions due to claim backlog | This is Money

midlife

Guru
Spoke to my wife and she said the NHS and her previous job before that had opted out of SERPS so that she paid less NI and the NHS paid more to the private pension.When you opt in I suppose it’s the opposite.
You are right about the SP being four weekly instead of monthly.That will be paid that way automatically unless you contact them.
I decided to be paid weekly as that what I was used to when I was working.

The NHS paid into a private pension,? Hard to beat the NHS pension as a final salary scheme.

Ajax Bay

Guru
5000 people still waiting apparently.
Yes, I think it depends on the "accuracy" of the reporting outlet / agency.
FTFY
'This is Money' is part of the Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday & Metro media group
Two lines into 'report': " yesterday [2 Nov], close to 400 overdue claims had still not been paid, and the department was in touch with 4,900 retirees who needed to provide more information."
So 400 not "5000" then.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hard to know which thread to post this in so here goes. Some of you will know if an individual is short of State Pension contribution years it is possible to purchase these prior to taking the state pension up to the level required to receive the current full SP of £185.15 pw or £9627 pa. Generally speaking the cost is +/- £800 for each year one is short and for many people 3-4 years need to be purchased, the pay back time on this is around three/four years.

With inflation forecast to be 10% in September and the triple lock due to be reinstated for 2023/24 the SP will increase by +/-£962 which significantly shortens the pay back period. In my wife's case the payback period will reduce from 142 weeks (just short of three years) to 119 weeks. It's a hard to beat investment which gives a great return for life.

Triple Lock Reinstatement

Edited to correct payback period to 119 weeks.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
That's rubbish. I've heard of delays long before we even had a pandemic.
I see no value in making people go into an office and make each other ill.

My perspective is it was recognised reasonably early on that having key people at home meant occasionally, sometimes fustratingly, the business doesnt flow as it did, people became somewhat remote, unobtainable, things got missed, decisions werent made as quickly. Those lapses do (did) cause problems.
I'm not sure Covid is a relevent excuse now for working from home either. We have worked right through, up to 1000 people a day , theres no social distancing now, all bets are off....we function quite normally, we're not losing people off sick any more than normal.

Youre right re problems pre pandemic, i seem to remember similar.

Top Bottom