Static exercise bike vs Mag trainer for post-knee injury recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Hi. Knackered my knee on a fall on Saturday. Nothing broken nor torn thanks be, in fact I biked 20 miles after the fall. Had it x-rayed yesterday and doc reckons I'll be off bike for 4 to 6 weeks. Can't have that, I'm doing the coast to coast TPT 215 miles on Aug 24th!

Will take recovery easy to begin with but at some point in the next 2 to 3 weeks I'm going to need to get back in the saddle. Doc says exercise bike at first for stability. Would a Mag trainer be stable enough to be sure I can't fall off it ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, if you can fall off your bike whilst on a turbo trainer, you are special in a way I wont ever be able to comprehend!

Riding the turbo trainer with your actual bike will be better for you in the long run too, as it lets you use a bike that is ideally set up for you, and you can use it in the future when your knee has recovered, for training or whatnot.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Yes, if you can fall off your bike whilst on a turbo trainer, you are special in a way I wont ever be able to comprehend!

Riding the turbo trainer with your actual bike will be better for you in the long run too, as it lets you use a bike that is ideally set up for you, and you can use it in the future when your knee has recovered, for training or whatnot.

Brilliant thanks. I was considering getting a mag anyway.

Might need a step to get on in the short term.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
+1 for Rob's comments. I have both and never use the exercise bike. I have an oil based trainer like the mag one I use every winter and for fixed training schedules. I used it to get fit after a knee injury that kept me off the bike for 6 years. Easy does it though you don't want to undo the recovery.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
+1 for Rob's comments. I have both and never use the exercise bike. I have an oil based trainer like the mag one I use every winter and for fixed training schedules. I used it to get fit after a knee injury that kept me off the bike for 6 years. Easy does it though you don't want to undo the recovery.

I hear ya thanks. Will take it easy this week, see how it goes at the weekend. I have an elliptical trainer which is good for nil-impact too.

Top Bottom