Static exercise bike vs Mag trainer for post-knee injury recovery

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by RhythMick, 23 Jul 2012.

1. RhythMick

RhythMick Über Member

Hi. Knackered my knee on a fall on Saturday. Nothing broken nor torn thanks be, in fact I biked 20 miles after the fall. Had it x-rayed yesterday and doc reckons I'll be off bike for 4 to 6 weeks. Can't have that, I'm doing the coast to coast TPT 215 miles on Aug 24th!

Will take recovery easy to begin with but at some point in the next 2 to 3 weeks I'm going to need to get back in the saddle. Doc says exercise bike at first for stability. Would a Mag trainer be stable enough to be sure I can't fall off it ?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Yes, if you can fall off your bike whilst on a turbo trainer, you are special in a way I wont ever be able to comprehend!

Riding the turbo trainer with your actual bike will be better for you in the long run too, as it lets you use a bike that is ideally set up for you, and you can use it in the future when your knee has recovered, for training or whatnot.

3. OP
    OP
    RhythMick

RhythMick Über Member

Brilliant thanks. I was considering getting a mag anyway.

Might need a step to get on in the short term.

4. Arsen Gere

Arsen Gere Über Member

+1 for Rob's comments. I have both and never use the exercise bike. I have an oil based trainer like the mag one I use every winter and for fixed training schedules. I used it to get fit after a knee injury that kept me off the bike for 6 years. Easy does it though you don't want to undo the recovery.

5. OP
    OP
    RhythMick

RhythMick Über Member

I hear ya thanks. Will take it easy this week, see how it goes at the weekend. I have an elliptical trainer which is good for nil-impact too.

6. OP
    OP
    RhythMick

RhythMick Über Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice