Statin tablets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never taken statins, no cholesterol issues,
I've never taken anti-hypertensives, no high blood pressure,
but that said I've also not had two heart attacks which would put me at a far higher risk of another (with a higher chance of it being fatal) and I've thus no resultant deficit in heart muscle

I know....thanks:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Statins has certainly controlled my cholesterol level and the only side effect I seem to get is cramps in my right thigh at night, sometimes.
I take 20mg a day. To put my mind at rest, I think I will have a word with my GP and ask specific questions.
By the way, any GPs on this forum to give us their opinion on it?
If you get muscle pain discuss whether a different statin might be better for you. Simvastatin (oldest one) has worse rates of muscle issues I believe, newer ones improved
Read the pack insert before discussing with GP

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If you get muscle pain discuss whether a different statin might be better for you. Simvastatin (oldest one) has worse rates of muscle issues I believe, newer ones improved
Read the pack insert before discussing with GP
I take Atorvastatin.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^^^Likewise. 40mg a day. I used to be on 80mg but it was reduced six months ago. Lord knows why.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Statins and asprin here, One heart attack down, Have regular check ups, so far so good, Am not a worrier. What will be will be. When its your turn, then thats it, you will live longer if you dont worry about it,:okay:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It’s an impossible topic.
@Bill Gates has very strong views, some might say zealous views on Statins and there is a whole thread of his regarding his strong views on the subject.
The rest of us have also weighed-up the risks and come to different conclusions.
I take high levels of Statins, have done for years without apparent side effects. If I don’t, I have Cholesterol readings in double figures. I already had a stent fitted at 42 years old and am now 57.
I can’t tell if Statins will kill me in the long term or not, however, I am fairly certain that without them my heart will most likely fail.
So despite a lot of conflicting medical and conspiracy theories am going along with the generally accepted medical consensus and taking my Statins.
Nothing is certain. YMMV.

D

Deleted member 1258

It’s an impossible topic.
@Bill Gates has very strong views, some might say zealous views on Statins and there is a whole thread of his regarding his strong views on the subject.
The rest of us have also weighed-up the risks and come to different conclusions.
I take high levels of Statins, have done for years without apparent side effects. If I don’t, I have Cholesterol readings in double figures. I already had a stent fitted at 42 years old and am now 57.
I can’t tell if Statins will kill me in the long term or not, however, I am fairly certain that without them my heart will most likely fail.
So despite a lot of conflicting medical and conspiracy theories am going along with the generally accepted medical consensus and taking my Statins.
Nothing is certain. YMMV.

I've had Angina, 2008, a heart attack, 2016, I've got 5 stents fitted, I've read loads about statins, a lot of it contradictory, I'll keep taking the medication.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I take Atorvastatin.

Same as me, 20mg a day. No side effects at all. We're all different and my doc did say you'll not reduce your level enough by diet. Quite happy with the results.

We're all different and drugs interact differently. but I've had two of my ex. clubmates drop dead far too early ! Everything else points to very low risk of heart attack etc, but I seem to be genetically high cholesterol (both parents on statins for years).

We all have our own opinions, so lets stay there and not fall out.

Top Bottom