Statins work.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good reply. We are different animals. The manufacturers in this case are the drug companies making billions from statins. You can't honestly think they are going to listen to one patient or even a million patients or even 25 million patients complaining of side effects. The evidence put forward for statins is fatally flawed. They already know it. This is a gigantic scandal. I have given numerous examples of this on here. In the future they are going to give out pills that increases cholesterol because all the data shows that higher levels of cholesterol increase longevity.

You should be telling your family, friends, neighbours, work mates in fact anybody you meet who takes statins so thay make an informed choice on taking them. I'm on here telling you guys and you have made your choice. Fair enough. All I know is that I wish I knew then back in 2004 what I know some 15 years later and still I'm classed as a scaremongerer.

I think this should be my last word on the subject.
Two things:
I'm not taking statins.
The Yellow Card system, if you'd used to report the side effects, will get it listed. Case in point being TegratolTrobalt. No longer available, due to the number of people using the Yellow Card system.

Edited to correct the drug name.

Last edited:

Bill Gates

There are undoutedly issues with statins. If you search on this forum you can read several anecdotal reports of side effects, although from what I see these are fairly well documented and accounted for. There are problems with the way big pharma conducts itself regarding clinical trial transparency, publication bias and cherry-picking, not to mention marketing. All that is true.

What the RationalWiki page (not Wikipedia) does is describe a profile of what they call a statin (or cholesterol) denialist, which appears to be someone engaging in pseudoscientific argument to make a range of points about statins and cholesterol including but not limited to the points above, and including what we might call some more unorthodox ideas promoted by some rather less than mainstream characters. And the more somebody fits that profile, and the more they use a scattergun approach to make many different points, or resort to irrational pr emotionsl arguments without proper evidence, the more it dilutes any legitimate concerns they have, and the less likely they are to be taken seriously.
Their definition. We haven't moved forward on this at all.

PK99

Legendary Member
What the RationalWiki page (not Wikipedia) does is describe a profile of what they call a statin (or cholesterol) denialist, which appears to be someone engaging in pseudoscientific argument to make a range of points about statins and cholesterol including but not limited to the points above, and including what we might call some more unorthodox ideas promoted by some rather less than mainstream characters. And the more somebody fits that profile, and the more they use a scattergun approach to make many different points, or resort to irrational pr emotionsl arguments without proper evidence, the more it dilutes any legitimate concerns they have, and the less likely they are to be taken seriously.

Thanks for that reference. First time I have come across it.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Statin_denialism

It explains why some of the attitudes and arguments from BG echo and parallel attitudes and arguments I have seen elsewhere from AniVaxxers

EG Statin denialists are known to exaggerate the side effects of statins and utilize scaremongering tactics.
and:
Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology Rory Collins has compared statin denialism to flat earthism, he has noted "the claims that blood LDL cholesterol levels are not causally related to cardiovascular disease (which is really in the same realm as claiming that smoking does not cause cancer) are factually false."[1]

Moderators

Legendary Member
We have received several reports about this thread. It is now temporarily locked. The Moderators team may reopen it, when they have had time to review the complaints.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Anyone like to rant evangelically on the subject? The floor’s all yours.....
I love statins......they give me weird dreams and give me the same level of muscle ache that I used to get after doing an Ironman. All the pain without the effort!! And all free on the NHS.

BTW, I’ve no idea what they are doing to my cholesterol.

Smudge

Veteran
For me, the side effects i had on statins were bad enough that i'd rather take my chances with high cholesterol.
I tried them again recently, and they were just as bad as when i tried them many years back.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I’ve been on statins for decades. Originally Simvastatin and then switched to Atorvastatin because it was more successful in reducing my cholesterol levels. I was initially on 40mg but that was reduced to 20mg to see if it had any impact. The levels went up a bit but were still acceptable, so I remained on 20mg. At no time with either statins and dosage level, did I get muscle pain or other noticed side effects

After my latest stenting, I was moved back up to 40mg of Atorvastatin and much to my surprise, and completely against my expectations, I got pretty severe muscle pains when exercising. As a trial, I switched back to 20mg and the pain disappeared. After talking this through with my GP, I remained on the 20mg for three months and then went back up to the 40mg dosage..... No muscle pain at all this time and that’s the way it has remained. I don’t understand it, neither does my GP but we are both happy now. Go figure.
‘The dose defines the poison‘ somebody smart once said....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I love statins......they give me weird dreams and give me the same level of muscle ache that I used to get after doing an Ironman. All the pain without the effort!! And all free on the NHS.

BTW, I’ve no idea what they are doing to my cholesterol.
Maybe check to see? If they’re not doing much, kick-em into touch. If you can see a Doctor, just ask!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

On that, we agree, hence the “Go figure” I’m still surprised that with no other variables changed - apart from the time of the year- that a different reaction occurred and I emphasise that I was predisposed to expecting no difference at all
Were they they same brand/manufacturer? I used to react oddly to certain brands of beta-blocker. Dose the same, but maybe release-rates differ slightly?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And that goes nowhere towards explain differing reactions to same dosage levels

Brand difference ? I used to get a different brand of Duloxetine at each prescription - not great given the composition can vary, and the drug has a lot of side effects - was great for my back pain.

Top Bottom