Statins work.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
56, couple of years ago when a narrowed fartery was discovered whilst they were poking around another heart issue, which was helpful.

PK99

Legendary Member
Just out of interest, at what age did you guys get put on to statins?

Probably around 14 years ago. Age 50.

GP started a Well Man MOT clinic for over 50's. High cholesterol was detected and combined with a bilateral history of heart problems with age in the family, I was referred to a Haematologist who did full blood works and health assessment, then advised Statins.

D

Deleted member 1258

I was about 57, and needed stenting for blocked arteries and angina.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
49, following a GP over 40's check up (only a few month's back). Then found out both my parents are on them (mid 70's now). I only went for my check up as a cycling mate dropped dead (similar age) having not bothered with a full blood test for a long time. I was 7.5, I suggested I try alternative methods, like plant sterols, and he just said it's too high for dietary changes.

As mentioned they have dropped my levels down to 5 which the GP is happy with, and I'm already in a low risk category for heart attack, but shoot can happen, like with my mate. They found he was a bit furred up, had one stent fitted after the heart attack, allowed home as he was fine, then had another heart attack a week after the first - gone.

I'm not for/against, but they are bringing my level into a 'safe' area that should avoid any issues. I have no side effects. I'm on another drug that I actually need more than statins and that can cause lots of issues long term, one of which can kill me in my sleep (thick blood).

I'd rather get checked out before it's too late. My family history is OK, but my MIL had stroke/heart issues from 60, and she has not had a 'well' old age at all, she's been knackered since her late 60's and needing care/lack of mobility. She never exercised, 2nd hand smoked from FIL (big smoker), was never into 'looking after yourself'.

Best catching it before it's an issue. If the drugs don't help you/make you ill, look at alternatives with guidance from a doc.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
So I'm entering the danger zone age wise! My last test was earlier this year. My levels where slightly elevates, but the ratio of good to bad cholesterol was excellent, so the doc wasn't unduly concerned.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So I'm entering the danger zone age wise! My last test was earlier this year. My levels where slightly elevates, but the ratio of good to bad cholesterol was excellent, so the doc wasn't unduly concerned.
56-57-58 seems to be when the arteries need a rebore doesn't it?
Personally, I was bloody annoyed because I was doing all the right things. Then I found out that one of my grandparents had a massive coronary in a doctor's surgery of all places! Gucking fenetics...

Last edited:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I once took statins but after a lot of research decided they were of no benefit to me, cholesterol is essential for the human body that's why it makes it. Statins are chemicals that strips the body of essential nutrients, they're not for me and my doctor is in total agreement but then he is a younger GP who hasn't been brainwashed or bought over.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I once took statins but after a lot of research decided they were of no benefit to me, cholesterol is essential for the human body that's why it makes it. Statins are chemicals that strips the body of essential nutrients, they're not for me and my doctor is in total agreement but then he is a younger GP who hasn't been brainwashed or bought over.
To be pedantic, the ability to synthesise cholesterol is precisely what makes it non-essential, but I know what you mean. I'm not sure I'd agree that statins 'strip' the body of cholesterol though. They inhibit the synthesis of it so your liver instead pulls in what it needs from the excess which is circulating in the bloodstream.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dads was a bit high, and being a pilot the CAA doctor got a bit uppity when it came to his annual medical. A change of diet and it dropped radically. For most, but not all, diet and/or lifestyle changes are equally effective and don't run the risk, of side effects. Too many people are on medication for co editions that could be self treated without them.

winjim

Smash the cistern
My Dads was a bit high, and being a pilot the CAA doctor got a bit uppity when it came to his annual medical. A change of diet and it dropped radically. For most, but not all, diet and/or lifestyle changes are equally effective and don't run the risk, of side effects. Too many people are on medication for co editions that could be self treated without them.
Current guidance is to offer lifestyle advice as a first option in cases of hypercholesterolaemia. However, some people don't take kindly to having their diet and lifestyle analysed so it can be difficult. Some lipid clinics have taken to having the dietician in the waiting room chatting informally to patients as they wait to see the doctor, as they would be reluctant to attend a specific dietary appointment.

PK99

Legendary Member

Mine was high despite an exemplary diet

Top Bottom