Stations not cycle friendly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

howdenbiker

poster.jpg

This has been posted at a station in Yorkshire, some station staff have apparently chopped off locks already anyway! At Selby station I'm told they allow four locks on the racks but if you are the fifth beware! Is this a countrywide issue?
I cannot see any problem that this would cause with security.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
View attachment 80111
This has been posted at a station in Yorkshire, some station staff have apparently chopped off locks already anyway! At Selby station I'm told they allow four locks on the racks but if you are the fifth beware! Is this a countrywide issue?

some companies get around this issue by providing a wall loop to leave your lock. I can understand some riders dont want to carry a heavy lock about but the reality is when left they become a trip hazard and easily sabotaged by thieves.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
View attachment 80111 Is this a countrywide issue?

Not sure if it's countrywide, but guess so.
It's probably not a security issue, just more of a general housekeeping exercise. if they don't do this occasionally I would imagine that the bike stands would eventually become full of unused bike locks :laugh:
I was surprised to see how many bikes get left locked & abandoned at Hull station on a regular basis :blush:

gavintc

Guru
Just guessing - one too many arguments with somebody who reckons leaving his lock attached to the rack means that place is now automatically his in perpetuity?

Happens all the time - you just remove the lock and put it onto the bike on the different rack - it is still not a security issue.

andyfraser

Über Member
I wouldn't leave a lock locked to the racks at a station myself in case it gets messed with. I'm three miles from the station. That's not too far to carry a couple of good locks. I carry them further (14 - 16 miles) on days when I'm running errands.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just guessing - one too many arguments with somebody who reckons leaving his lock attached to the rack means that place is now automatically his in perpetuity?
We've had people complain "their stand" has been "taken" at my workplace. Its first come first serve. Deal with it.

Not only locks, abandoned wheels, bike frames, remnants of parts stolen. Have seen councils using angle grinders on D locks. I suppose it the usual periodic clean-up.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
some companies get around this issue by providing a wall loop to leave your lock. I can understand some riders dont want to carry a heavy lock about but the reality is when left they become a trip hazard and easily sabotaged by thieves.
Never heard of that before - it's a good idea!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I used to cycle to Orpington station, the bike rack and stands were usually covered in peoples left locks which made it hard to find a decent space to lock up your own bike lest the owner of left locks had to clamber over your bike to get to it.

A separate loop set by for left locks sounds a good idea.

Top Bottom