Staying motivated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commute

Guyincognito76

I find that if I'm going out often, then I stay motivated. The problem is getting remotivated after a prolonged period of inactivity. A cocktail of a bad cold, followed by some wet and windy weather, and Christmas led to a few weeks off the bike. It was a real struggle getting back in to the swing of it after that, but now, after four weeks, I'm good again.

I'm trying not to let the cold stop me from cycling this week, even if I only do a little to keep my toe in.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am feeling motivated to get on my bike but we have a lot of snow here at the moment and the roads are horrendous. I tried riding the other day and fell off within 10 yards and hurt my wrist. Having a dodgy wrist anyway with about 30% bone density loss with it I decided that I would just have to wait until the roads clear again.
If I had a turbo, I would be pedalling away in front of the tv, but I haven't got one so that's that.

Regular riding motivates me, I can get lazy when I have had a few days off and have to have a word with myself to get myself out on the bike.

Some days I think "to hell with it" and other days its "yippee - its snowed" or "great it raining, let's just get on with it anyhow" and twice a week I have 3 commutes to do (don't ask) so just have to get on with it.
Personally I just try to remember who much better I feel even after only 10 mins in the saddle. Usually works but not always. I had a "to hell with it day" on Sunday, but was out Tuesday (fun), Wednesday (2 commutes), Thursday (commute), Friday (twice for fun in the snow) and Saturday (fun in the snow)... went out again today for the hell of it to play in what little snow we have left, but it is now wet & soggy and to be honest, it was easier cycling on a beach on a full laden tourer!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
this. if you have no option you dont loose motivation as its not a variable that decides whether you ride or not.

its always hard in this weather though, commuting or not. Im having to do the school run this week (9 mnth preg OH + ice = me being too nervous to let her), and Im hating being in the car!! I find it very hard to get motivated for a spin on the turbo when its so cold in the garage, even though that would actually be a good thing once I get going!

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Buy a 5 grand bike, then you'll be motivated...especially if you're married*

* I have not done this and take no responsibility for any injuries you may sustain!

this. if you have no option you dont loose motivation as its not a variable that decides whether you ride or not.
I have the option but a day walking or in the past PT gets me motivated again; that and seeing other folk on their bike. Alarmingly I didn't see any road bikes today but on the way home I saw a tourer,close enough, I'm back on the bike tomorrow :thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
Never had a problem getting motivated to ride. My body thermostat prefers the cold, and havig been treated in the past for malignant melanoma i bave a good reaspn to dislike the sun.

Sometimes I have periods of ambivalence in the gym. I still go, but Somehow lack the pizazz, the vim. Not such a problem of I'm with my coach or training with a spotter.

Sandra6

Veteran
I ride to get to places, even in the wet I still need to get to places and cycling is quicker than walking.
I must confess to not having been on the bike just for fun for quite a while though. But then I don't think cycling in sleet and snow is much fun so I don't feel the need to be motivated into doing it.

Top Bottom