Steady Helmet cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
BentMikey said:
...yet. You might still get a bill.

Good point - I won't crack open the Dom Perignon just yet!

Origamist

Legendary Member
benb said:
It arrived the day before yesterday - no import duty, yay!
Just waiting for my 16GB microSD card now, as the included 2GB one won't be good for much!

Ben, you might be lucky with HMRC, but it usually takes a week or two (or longer) to get a bill through.

I'm lucky, a friend in the US bought my GoPro HD and is bringing it back at the end of the week.

This meant I got a 8GB card, handlebar/seatpost mount for £205 (I would have got it for £199, but he forgot to click the free P+P tab!).

I'm going to mount the handlebar clamp over some old bar tape to dampen vibrations.

Here's footage from a road bike using the handlebar clamp:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sex4bTW5Q8

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Great, we'll get to see some footage of your riding! Mind, with a handlebar mounting, we won't be able to see how much looking you do.

Not much I suspect, as I'm only going to use it as "evidence" in case of trouble. I really want it for off roading...

Gaz, has me on film this morning - he can post it if you want to scrutinize my riding...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Origamist said:

WOW, that's some of the smoothest footage I've seen...perhaps bars are the way forward. I may try to rig something up today for the trip home (as a test).

@ GAV..can I ask, is your cam a Contour HD and if so, is it set to full 1080. I've noticed some exposure issues (with the recent sun) on a few of your vids and wonder if this is an issue with the contour?

In general, mounting on the head allows lots of fleeting and darting looks (as you would expect) this causes my footage to jump a fair bit and cause jerkyness. I've never tried the bars tho, so tonight will be a good test.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
gaz said:
Mine is the contourhd 720p. Exposure issues are due to me getting the settings wrong

cool...and thanks

so you can control the settings, that's good news...sorry to dis' your kit but I was a little disapointed when I kept seeing the cam struggle with the shadows...I should take a look at some mre recent footage i guess.

Just rigged up a bar mount out of an old goat, two scaffold tubes, some washing up liquid bottles and a bucket...(feeling like "Hannibal" from the A'team now!!...or perhaps that's murdoch)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jonny jeez said:
cool...and thanks

so you can control the settings, that's good news...sorry to dis' your kit but I was a little disapointed when I kept seeing the cam struggle with the shadows...I should take a look at some mre recent footage i guess.

Just rigged up a bar mount out of an old goat, two scaffold tubes, some washing up liquid bottles and a bucket...(feeling like "Hannibal" from the A'team now!!...or perhaps that's murdoch)
you can control; brightness, sharpness and exposure. i've got it terribly wrong before and just eneded up with 10mins of white before the sun set.

In all seriousness, one of the reasons I didn't go for the contour HD was that the exposure was fixed for each ride. On my commute light conditions can change quite dramatically (rural/urban/tunnel) that I needed something that coped well with changing light conditions. That's why I went for an upgrade to the camera I have with the dogcam HQ2. It really copes amazingly well with changes in light. Not as high res as the contour of course.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jonny jeez said:
WOW, that's some of the smoothest footage I've seen...perhaps bars are the way forward. I may try to rig something up today for the trip home (as a test).

The GoPro handlebar mount is v secure (as long as you don't overtighten it) and adjustable, but the road looks almost glacial in the footage I linked to. I suspect the lunar landscape of S London might affect the camera differently, but I'm still hopeful that it will not be too juddery. I'll post a few test shots on Vimeo when I get it set up next week.

The GoPro chest mount provides good stuff off road, but it's pricey:

View: http://vimeo.com/7481460

Origamist

Legendary Member
jonny jeez said:
I totally disagree, I thought you looked like you were flying...really.. it looked very fast to me.

odd how peoples frames of reference differ

It's not my footage, JJ (my cam is stuck in California).

"Glacial" was the wrong adjective in my earlier sentence - I meant the roads looked smooth!

Top Bottom