Steady Helmet cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That is a known issue with the helmet mount. Mine hasn't been a problem for some months now.
The way you say "for some months", leads me to the conclusion that you did previously. What changed?

Ah, so I'm not the only one then. At least it's something that someday may get rectified. It just seems to me that the metal rod is a tad too short. If you were on a pretty rough surface on a road bike, I dare say that without modification, you'd end up losing the rod and having your ContourHD hanging from the lanyard after not too long.

I'll see if I can come up with something a little more suitable than pieces of folded paper to stop the rod sliding out.

Gaz, what would you use instead of bits of paper? A piece of plastic, like a piece of an old expired debit card or something?

I did have it previously. I check my mount before every ride, if i see some of the rod poking through, i push it back in with my key. For some reason it hasn't come out for a while (maybe due to the lack of rain? the warmer weather meaning the metal has expanded slightly?)

Vholdr are looking into it, and there are some people that have posted some resolutions on the forums.

You would have to leave it for a long time for it to fall out. even when the rod isn't in place properly you will have to give it a good yank to get it out.

Femto

That is a known issue with the helmet mount. Mine hasn't been a problem for some months now.
The way you say "for some months", leads me to the conclusion that you did previously. What changed?

Ah, so I'm not the only one then. At least it's something that someday may get rectified. It just seems to me that the metal rod is a tad too short. If you were on a pretty rough surface on a road bike, I dare say that without modification, you'd end up losing the rod and having your ContourHD hanging from the lanyard after not too long.

I'll see if I can come up with something a little more suitable than pieces of folded paper to stop the rod sliding out.

Gaz, what would you use instead of bits of paper? A piece of plastic, like a piece of an old expired debit card or something?

I did have it previously. I check my mount before every ride, if i see some of the rod poking through, i push it back in with my key. For some reason it hasn't come out for a while (maybe due to the lack of rain? the warmer weather meaning the metal has expanded slightly?)

Vholdr are looking into it, and there are some people that have posted some resolutions on the forums.

You would have to leave it for a long time for it to fall out. even when the rod isn't in place properly you will have to give it a good yank to get it out.
Nah, mine fell out the first time I took the camera off the mount. Well, the camera didn't come off the mount - the mount came apart!  The rod in mine just slides back and forth with its own weight, i.e. if I tip the mount one way, the rod slides that way and when I tip the other, it slides the other way. Obviously because it is going to be on the side of my helmet, tipped one way, the rod isn't in the hole at the top and the inner part of the mount simply falls out with only slight vibration. The paper seems to have sorted it for now but paper gets soggy in the rain...

Blu-tack sounds like it might be a good idea but wouldn't it gunk the straps up a bit? Or perhaps a piece of the rubber seal from a Grolsch bottle might do the trick.

allthegear

Blu-tack sounds like it might be a good idea but wouldn't it gunk the straps up a bit? Or perhaps a piece of the rubber seal from a Grolsch bottle might do the trick.

I've not found it too messy using the Blu-tack. I picked my helmet up and the camera was hanging off it, bar almost dropping out, and it wasn't far from losing the bar and leaving my camera dangling from the security cord. Poor for something that cost £15 quid and was only a couple of weeks old. It's a design fault, so a replacement of the same type isn't going to fix it, but it is easy to repair. The blu-tack has solved my problem, and I'm more concerned in keeping it fixed to my helmet, rather than worrying about any potential gunking up of the straps. Anything that prevents the bar moving side to side should fix the issue.

Femto

I've not found it too messy using the Blu-tack.   I picked my helmet up and the camera was hanging off it, bar almost dropping out, and it wasn't far from losing the bar and leaving my camera dangling from the security cord.  Poor for something that cost £15 quid and was only a couple of weeks old.  It's a design fault, so a replacement of the same type isn't going to fix it, but it is easy to repair.  The blu-tack has solved my problem, and I'm more concerned in keeping it fixed to my helmet, rather than worrying about any potential gunking up of the straps.  Anything that prevents the bar moving side to side should fix the issue.

Yes, you're quite right. Keeping the camera is the main concern. 

As Gaz said earlier, Vholdr are looking into it. I went to their website and in the FAQ section there is an entry for this exact problem.

It reads as follows:

"The inner square of my vented helmet mount has come loose. What do I do?"
    "The inner section of some of our early production vented helmet mounts may work their way loose over time. This inner section is the part of the mount that contains the rails and tilts. The problem is easily remedied with a slightly longer pin that holds the inner section of the mount in place. If you have a vented helmet mount that is experiencing this problem, please submit a web case to our technical support team. Please make certain to include your mailing address so we can send you a replacement pin for you mount along with replacement instructions."

The link to the support page where you can submit a request for help is: http://vholdr.com/support/contact

Top Bottom