Steady Helmet cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My footage yesterday was pointed a tad to low and all i got was a lot of road and the wheels of cars as they went past .:blush:

Using a helmet mount atm i figure i just need to fiddle with it.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
I saw on youtube that somebody had used some sections of innertubes to get a more steady mount, that seems a good tip.

My "Heath Robinson" mount gave really wobbly footage. Mainly as I fitted the main (hinged) mount on the horizontal so had to open it to allow the cam to stand up vertically...the hinged bracket allows far to much flexibility for this, so....back to the drawing board.

last night I became to fashion a whole new mount and..oddly enough choose an old tube to help "grip" the to the frame of chitty whilst allowing a really tight fix.

not finished it yet, so resulting footage may have to wait till tomorrow

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BSRU said:
You can tighten the screw/nut on that hinge mount so it will not move at all.

Its not so much movement, but as it stands up, it is only supported at the bottom, therfore it acts like a little mast and wobbles at the top (where the lens is).

benb said:
So, should I have it set to 1080 @ 30fps or 720 @ 60fps?

60fps will give you better stills (for getting plate numbers etc) and smoother slow motion, assuming that the lighting is good enough. If it's bad the fps will drop or the image will darken depending on what has priority (some you can set, some you cannot).

1080p is a bit overkill imo.

YouTube will drop this to 30fps still, so no point in encoding to 60fps yourself if you edit the video for youtube.

One thing I noticed when I took it off my initial bar mounting was that I look up and down a lot (nodding).

Femto

gaz said:
How are you planning to mount the camera benb?

I ordered the helmet mount, that has these straps that go through the vents.

Hey benb. How have you found your vented helmet mount?

I just got my Contour HD 1080p, which is really great. I got the vented helmet mount at the same time and to tell you the truth, it's a bit of a let-down. Here's why:

I've had to wedge some bits of folded paper into the slots where the straps pass through the main body of the bracket because the little metal "axle" that allows the part to which you attach the camera to tilt is so short that if one end of the axle slides to one side, through the hole it sits in and into the strap slot, the other end just falls out of its hole and the whole mount falls apart!

Maybe it's just mine but it seems like a pretty huge design flaw. Fine, the camera won't fall to its death so long as the leash is used but I dare say you'd lose the axle straight away.  It's fine now I've "fixed" it with some bits of paper but it shouldn't really be like that to begin with.

DSC_0002_01.JPG

Femto

That is a known issue with the helmet mount. Mine hasn't been a problem for some months now.
The way you say "for some months", leads me to the conclusion that you did previously. What changed?

Ah, so I'm not the only one then. At least it's something that someday may get rectified. It just seems to me that the metal rod is a tad too short. If you were on a pretty rough surface on a road bike, I dare say that without modification, you'd end up losing the rod and having your ContourHD hanging from the lanyard after not too long. 

I'll see if I can come up with something a little more suitable than pieces of folded paper to stop the rod sliding out.

Gaz, what would you use instead of bits of paper? A piece of plastic, like a piece of an old expired debit card or something?

allthegear

I'll see if I can come up with something a little more suitable than pieces of folded paper to stop the rod sliding out.

Gaz, what would you use instead of bits of paper? A piece of plastic, like a piece of an old expired debit card or something?

I've had this problem too.

I forced some blutac into the gap (both sides) and that seems to have done the job of stopping the bar moving - I plan to make this more permanent by using some glue from a hot glue gun.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That is a known issue with the helmet mount. Mine hasn't been a problem for some months now.
The way you say "for some months", leads me to the conclusion that you did previously. What changed?

Ah, so I'm not the only one then. At least it's something that someday may get rectified. It just seems to me that the metal rod is a tad too short. If you were on a pretty rough surface on a road bike, I dare say that without modification, you'd end up losing the rod and having your ContourHD hanging from the lanyard after not too long.

I did have it previously. I check my mount before every ride, if i see some of the rod poking through, i push it back in with my key. For some reason it hasn't come out for a while (maybe due to the lack of rain? the warmer weather meaning the metal has expanded slightly?)

Vholdr are looking into it, and there are some people that have posted some resolutions on the forums.

You would have to leave it for a long time for it to fall out. even when the rod isn't in place properly you will have to give it a good yank to get it out.

Top Bottom