Stealth tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Bloke at work is constantly complaining about speed cameras, and has whined that there's one set up in the local village hidden from view on a footpath.

I said to him that they could paint them green and cover them in DPM, they'll never catch me because I already know they might be arethere and have been given advance warning of the fact.

How do you know, he says, falling for it.

30mph signs on the way into the village, stop below that and they can be as sneaky as they like, they'll never get you.

Crankarm

Guru
:sad:

Speed camera whingers - a voluntary tax for the stupid ;).

The people who moan about being caught speeding always amuse me, as you say the speed limit is there for all to see and warnings of speed cameras are usually posted. Add to that warnings given by sat nav and things like road angel.

Its been over 25 years since i was fined for speeding, I never moaned then and would not do so now. If you dont want to be caught then the answer is simple 'don't do it'.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have a speeding ticket for doing 60 in a 40.

In Germany.

26 years ago.

I learnt my lesson. I was at fault. I paid the fine. I didn't whine.

Of those 4 statements, today's motoring public will fight tooth and nail not to abide by them.

addictfreak said:
Add to that warnings given by sat nav and things like road angel.

One of the lads on the Taxi rank that i work actually refused to pay his speeding fine after being caught on a fixed camera because his Sat Nav did'nt alert him to it's presence

his fine was trebled at the local magistrates court and he had to pay court cost as well

Simon

PBancroft

The important part which people need to remember (and most don't) about the speed limit is in the name itself.

It's a limit, not a target.

Davidc

Guru
My complaint about speed limit enforcement - Inadequate with inadequate penalties.

Increase the number of cameras - at least 10 times as many.
Increase the penalties - to at least the present drink drive standard.
Then reduce the limits. Just keep the numbers, hence signs etc., but make them apply in kph.

Agree with Crankarm (it's becoming a habit, need a politial thread) that it's a tax on the stupid. There are no speeding penalties for drivers who stay within the limit.

Downward

Guru
Had an argument on someone cause I said that people who get done for speeding are stupid.

If they can't match the accelerator, speedometer and road speed limit should they be trusted to be driving ?

Davidc

Guru
Downward said:
Had an argument on someone cause I said that people who get done for speeding are stupid.

If they can't match the accelerator, speedometer and road speed limit should they be trusted to be driving ?

I've had that argument - and had the recently fined etc. individual conceed!

The second point - no. That's why I'd like to see a 1 year ban and minimum £1k fine for a first offence, with insurance companies pushed into applying appropriate loadings to reinstated drivers.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I love it when people whine about it. Makes me laugh how stupid they are, just like the woman at work. I thought she'd be caught just the once as she was saying how it was a "hidden camera" (it isnt) and there were "no warning signs" (there are loads 3x standard signs up to a mile away, plus the gatso is bloody bright yellow!) :sad:

So I said, thinking this was a one-off, maybe you can appeal? "Oh I tried that the first two times on that camera" :smile::laugh:

Eejit.

I dont drive.. but I'm slowly forming the opinion perhaps we need a 3 strikes and you're out policy on them? Caught a third time then license taken away and a proper driving test again before you're allowed back behind the wheel. None of this retraining/re-education courses after the first, too, unless its a serious breach or danger. ;)

thomas

the tank engine
Davidc said:
I've had that argument - and had the recently fined etc. individual conceed!

The second point - no. That's why I'd like to see a 1 year ban and minimum £1k fine for a first offence, with insurance companies pushed into applying appropriate loadings to reinstated drivers.

Personally, I think a £1k fine is unfair. If you want a higher fine then you should make it income accessed. £1000 is a lot of money for me (and I'm sure for most people on the board), but £1000 isn't a lot of money to a premiership footballer, wealthy businessman, etc. Anyone hear of the CEO of Nokia who got a £30,000 speeding fine or something like that :sad:.

Also, with speeding there are times where to be honest, it doesn't really matter. In built up areas, yes, you should stick to the speed limit...but on a quiet motorway does doing 80mph rather than 70mph really make any difference to road safety? Raising the motorway speed limit to 80mph is the only policy that the BNP have that seems to make sense (though, anyone to vote for them for that issue needs their head testing).

One problem with speed cameras, or very strict speed enforcement is that it makes people spend less time focused on the road. I know this is, 'one of those excuses', but if I relied on a car and didn't have lots of money, what am I going to do - pay loads of attention to my speedo and less on what's further up the road, or not? If I actually hit someone by accident I'd probably be more likely to keep my licence than if I got caught speeding a few times.

Personally, I think there are more dangerous issues on the road. Such as mobile phone use....yet when people are on their phones (like drink drivers) they are probably driving slower to account for it....therefore speed cameras won't get them, and the Police don't care.

The problem really is excessive speed. 65 in a 60 won't generally be a problem...but taking that sharp corner in a 30, at 30 will be a problem. Even doing 30mph in a 30mph past a school could be excessive, but speed cameras don't account for this.

I'm not saying I condone speeding, as long as people aren't driving at an excessive speed for the conditions. When I used to drive (I will drive again!) I used to try to stick to most speed limits, but there were some roads where I wasn't worried about a couple extra MPH here or there. However, unlike some people at least I realise there are times that even though I can do the speed limit, it doesn't mean I should.

Crankarm

Guru
Black boxes in cars controlling and monitoring the engine management system is the only way. The large minority of drivers have ruined unfettered motoring for the dwindling majority. Drivers who commit motoring offences just do not realise how lucky they are, refusing most of the time, to take any responsibilty for their dangerous actions. Even when they are faced with losing their licenses 99% of the them blame everyone and everything but themselves. CP excluded.

Btw where is V-N?

Arch

Married to Night Train
thomas said:
Also, with speeding there are times where to be honest, it doesn't really matter. In built up areas, yes, you should stick to the speed limit...but on a quiet motorway does doing 80mph rather than 70mph really make any difference to road safety? Raising the motorway speed limit to 80mph is the only policy that the BNP have that seems to make sense (though, anyone to vote for them for that issue needs their head testing).

Yes, but increase it to 80, and people will think there's nothing so wrong with 90...

Sorry, if you're so important and impatient that you need to travel faster than 70mph, get the train. That way you can do some work at the same time, and drink coffee...

And they should go back to making cars that feel like they are going to rattle to bits at anything over 60....

joebingo

Über Member
Black boxes in cars controlling and monitoring the engine management system is the only way.
I respectfully disagree there Crankarm. Given how apathetic a significant amount of the motoring public are, not having to watch there speed is, in my view, really dangerous.

It'll lead to a large number of people just sticking pedal to the metal and never even really thinking about speed control. The current technology would even allow the speed limiting devices to use the GPS system to adjust speed to the limit on any road, so people wouldn't even have to think about that.

The problem is that speeding is a 'socially acceptable' motoring offence, much like drink driving was 30 years ago. People just don't see a problem, until they're directly involved in a high speed accident with another road user.

The penalties should be harsher, repeat offences should result in a significant (minimum 2 year) ban and extended re-test. If you need your car for work? Tough. You should have thought about it before speeding repeatedly.

I've said it before though, and I'll say it again: Speed, in my view, is a minor issue any way. As people have said in this topic and others, people view the limit as a target, and regularly exceed it any way. Driver education is the only way to rectify this, not lowering the NSL to 50 on single carraigeway roads or lowering the speed limit to 20 (tooooo slow in a car, barely feels like you're moving) in all urban areas. If you hit somone at 20, it'll still do significant damage. If you're driving along at 30 and are looking far enough ahead to be able to anticipate any problems that could occur, adjust speed and course enough in advance when any problems arise, then you won't hit them at any speed and all will be well!

As for the motorway speed limit, the Police dont tend to take any action until you're way over 80mph any way. 70 is a good limit, but 80 does feel right on the motorway.

Top Bottom