Steam Cleaners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nosherduke996

Has anybody got one or have used one ? Are they that good on just about everything ? I have been looking at various models and it seems a bit of a minefield out there with the reviews.

buddha

Veteran
I've got one (a Polti IIRC ?)
It's been under the stairs for over 5 years, gathering dust. And only gets moved when I have to read the elec/gas meter.

Easy to shift kitchen grime > No
Easy to clean grouting > No
Easy to clean the oven > No
Easy to shift dirt on fabrics > No
Easy to waste excessive amounts of electricty, and not much else > Yep

So I went back to using soap, hot water and elbow grease for hard surfaces. And fabrics, either go in the washing machine or I use a carpet cleaner that has hand attachments (got one cheap from Bissell)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Why do you want to clean steam?

But seriously. I'm not entirely convinced by the claimed merits of the steam cleaners. Are they just another cleverly marketed domestic appliance that is destined to occupy cupboard space alongside the redundant bread maker?

subaqua

What’s the point
we have a steam wallpaper stripper with the cleaner attachment. really good for removing stains with a bit of patience. used it to clean the seats in the car where kids have ground chocolate or sweets into the fabric. was also good for getting paint sots off carpet where dustsheet got rucked.

i wouldn't buy a specific one though.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have one and never found it very much good for anything.

I bought one in a Woolies sale for £20 about 7 years ago. It produces oodles of high-pressure steam, but it doesn't clean things at all, despite the extravagant claims made by manufacturers.

That said, I did find one cracking use for it: it was amazing for defrosting my totally iced-up box-freezer in a matter of minutes. Sadly, the freezer was replaced about 4 years ago by one that never ices up so the steam cleaner has been gathering dust in the hall cupboard ever since.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The thread title made me think of one of these.
frank%20impact%20steam%20cleaner.jpg

When I served my mechanics apprenticship I spent a lot of time with one similar steam cleaning the undersides of lorries prior to MOT testing.

subaqua

What’s the point
The thread title made me think of one of these.
frank%20impact%20steam%20cleaner.jpg

When I served my mechanics apprenticship I spent a lot of time with one similar steam cleaning the undersides of lorries prior to MOT testing.

they were great for cleaning the insides of buses inadvertently when the pressure forced a hole in the floorplates :whistle:

soulful dog

Veteran
We have a carpet shampooer but borrowed a steam cleaner to see if it would make a better job. Despite the people we borrowed it from saying the steam cleaner was wonderful and made a brilliant job of everything, it took twice as long and twice as much effort as the shampooer, but didn't seem to make much difference to the carpets.

subaqua

What’s the point
We have a carpet shampooer but borrowed a steam cleaner to see if it would make a better job. Despite the people we borrowed it from saying the steam cleaner was wonderful and made a brilliant job of everything, it took twice as long and twice as much effort as the shampooer, but didn't seem to make much difference to the carpets.

now the rug doctor hire thing from B&Q was great brought all the carpets up lovely .

Mr Phoebus

I bought a decent model of steam cleaner hoping that it would get the cassettes and dérailleurs, etc gleaming.

NON!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I bought a decent model of steam cleaner hoping that it would get the cassettes and dérailleurs, etc gleaming.

NON!

No need for any of that.
A rag and some good old elbow grease will get all that oily old crap off cassettes and derailleurs.

Top Bottom