steam trains (5" gauge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my father in law has a 2 bed bungalow with a 5inch gauge track all the way around it :smile:...

My ex-boss had a semi and got together with his neighbour to lay a gauge1/ 45 mm track round their houses. It was quite something to be sitting in his back garden and see a cat-flap in their fence open and a Royal Scot and 9 chug over a viaduct and disappear round the side of the house.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My ex-boss had a semi

Snigger snigger.

Seriously though the cat flap makes it sound very Wallace And Gromit, but I bet it was LOTS of fun!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1954564, member: 45"]When I said I didn't own one, I meant a steam loco. This is mine and my dad's, complete with a Captain Jack figure converted into a BR driver.[/quote]
Wow, nice one. More pics please.

Makes my N Gauge seem a bit tiny.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 1954564, member: 45"]When I said I didn't own one, I meant a steam loco. This is mine and my dad's, complete with a Captain Jack figure converted into a BR driver.[/quote]

A class 14. Cool!

nice teddybear!

quite fancy a deltic myself if I can't have steam.

might have to be electric powered otherwise it'd sound like a hedge trimmer.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
nice teddybear!

quite fancy a deltic myself if I can't have steam.

might have to be electric powered otherwise it'd sound like a hedge trimmer.

A Deltic just drones and drones, I can't think of a less appealing noise TBH, so yes, as well as not making it would like a hedge trimmer, make sure it doesn't sound like an effing Deltic either!

Says me who would much prefer a Western....

Octet

Veteran
There is a public garden near me which offers rides on these (until some idiots vandalised it, cost something like £30,000 to repair and was closed for almost a year). I find it amazing how you have so much power out of such a small thing. I am guessing there is some kind of complex gear ratio thing going on behind the scenes? Or is it all pure power?

Night Train

Maker of Things
A Deltic just drones and drones, I can't think of a less appealing noise TBH, so yes, as well as not making it would like a hedge trimmer, make sure it doesn't sound like an effing Deltic either!
Though I can see what you mean it got me wondering if anyone had even made a working small scale model of a Napier Deltic engine. That I would like to see and hear working.

02GF74

Über Member
i would go to the opposite end of the scale - have a zz guage (think that is correct) set - always wanted one after seeing opne set up in side a brief case .... and unless i am mistaken, you can get steam locos that size ....hmmmm probably am mistaken.

Maz

Guru
The loco just doesn't look powerful enough to pull people (it obviously is, though). You'd think that the engine would tip 'nose up' rather than pull the carriages [and people] behind it.

Top Bottom