steam trains (5" gauge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train

Yeah, I really fancy some T-scale.

However, at the other end of the scale, this was me last weekend:
DSC_1866.JPG

First time as fireman on the West Lancs Light Railway. NT and I signed up as members and volunteers back in June. There's a lot still to learn just about firing, and then I can learn to drive. However, as fireman, I have to know how to stop the loco if the driver is taken ill or falls out, so I have done that, and I've driven it forward a short way too.

We saw a display about the railway at a steam fair, and were attracted by their very reasonably priced "Learn to drive a steam train" experience. That's probably because there's actually only just short of a mile of track in all, but driving a train is driving a train! However, by volunteering, we'll get to learn, and help, for just membership costs, plus we get to do all sorts of other stuff.

NT gets over there more often than me, and has been helping with construction projects and is already doing shunting with their little diesel, Planet.
obj331geo224pg15p8.png

A really nice bunch of people too, very friendly and encouraging.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Arch & @Night Train - the Kirklees Light Railway has similar activities, but has lots more track to run on: http://www.kirkleeslightrailway.com/

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
[QUOTE 2680955, member: 45"]5" is the distance between the rails. So 5" narrow gauge would be bigger scale than 5" standard gauge.

David Curwen (one of our genius model engineers) liked narrow gauge US locos as you'd end up with a far more powerful unit.[/quote]

Oooh I just wondered cos we go to Bursledon Brickworks and they have lots of steam trains you can ride on and they are narrow gauge as well as riding on the old Brickwork Railways and other steams things ^_^ we are very much looking forward to the End of Season Big Steam Up when everything gets steamed up even the big engines before they get put to bed for the winter!

Top Bottom