Steel CX bike for commuting - Verenti Substance 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mstrmind5

Still trying to wittle down my options of bikes. Did tentatively decide to consider the Verenti Technique 105 at £637.50 as my first choice, but flexibilty of tyre choice with a mudguard and brake choice has me slightly hesitant when considering wetter weather.

I then stumbled upon the Verenti Substance 105 £750 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substance-105-2016/
As you can see it is ~£100 more expensive, but has TRP spyre mechanical disc brakes I believe and better option for larger tyres with full mudguard. It has a steel frame and fork I believe, how would this differ from an aluminium frame with full carbon fork for commuting on London roads? Also how do the TRP disc brakes rank among disc brakes and compared to regular brake calipers? Finally is the extra cost compared to the first bike a worthy investment for my use?

Thanks.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Genesis Croix de Fer 10 is roughly in that price range and worth a look. Trade in promotion at Evans would bring it down to £824. I bought an eBay clunker for pennies to get £100 off my 20. I'm very happy with it so far, it deals with rough roads really well.

Although the groupset and brakes are decent for the money, my opinion remains that the Substance is very heavy and not very stylish. I am well happy with my TRP Spyres and much prefer them to the rim brakes on my previous MTB and the BB5 discs on my Boardman.

Top Bottom