Steel frame bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So you've never ridden a carbon bike, but you prefer steel..?? :huh:

I had a custom 653 race frame made for me in 1993 which I raced until I retired (for the first time) in 1998. There is simply no comparison between that bike and my Tarmac, and if you ever do get round to riding a modern CF frame, you will see just how far bicycle engineering and design has come in the last 20 years. You can't go bigging-up steel if you have nothing to compare it to.

the only carbon i have ridden was an early 90's Specilized epic and yes that is what i am basing it on

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@ TBM and Cyclist 33 ... Cheers! I thought so too. Just hope it rides as well as it reads.
Interestingly, my local LBS is a Giant road-bike dealer and has some serious CF kit at his disposal .... but the Ritchey Logic is his choice of ride.
I've not ridden a CF bike, I'm sure they're great, but they just don't float my boat.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
So a post of a link discussing 'cheap carbon frames found on ebay' makes you wonder about the quality and constructions of many frames? - by this statement do you mean cheap unbranded frames not from a reputable source which could be made anywhere or those manufactured for specialized, trek, pinerello or similar as well?

Do you not have the same concerns for steel, aluminium and titanium bikes as if these tubes are not joined by a skilled craftmen they are in danger of having localized weakness caused by the heat from welding and brazing. High quality welding and brazing demands extreme levels of purity and cleanness, any oil, grease or coatings will be taken into the weld and have weakness.
Does this make you wonder about steel, aluminium and titanium frames?
Folks have had quite a while to work on their skills with steel, and about 100 years to work on aluminum, and they seem to have their act together in many cases. Do I wonder about such frames? Yes, I do, but I have the skills and background to see and evaluate the product to my satisfaction. I posted my responses in answer to your previous question, and I feel that I have provided satisfactory answers to your questions about my concerns about carbon, and my reasons for having them. I have also provided sources for where my concerns come from.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The ride quality of steel is so often mentioned which makes me wonder what purpose is served by putting Carbon forks on these bikes which seem to be common place.
I'm also curious to know why steel components such as forks do not find themselves onto Carbon bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
The ride quality of steel is so often mentioned which makes me wonder what purpose is served by putting Carbon forks on these bikes which seem to be common place.
I'm also curious to know why steel components such as forks do not find themselves onto Carbon bikes.

Weight presumably on both counts

porteous

Veteran
I like steel because I am old, old fashioned, and can't see the point of buying modern TdF/Olympic winners bikes unless you want to (and can) be a TdF /Olympic winner.

I like sitting on an old fashioned piece of cow which has moulded itself to my backside (or visa versa) and knowing I am riding something that is not, basically, a knitted bicycle held together by glue. Alright, I know it is lovely and modern and technological but, like wines, I like a good one, can tell a bad one, but would never pretend to be an expert, so go with what I like. I am old enough to remember Accles and Pollock as well as Reynolds, and when brilliant frame makers were, like good boot-makers, craftsmen but not uncommon. I think that firms like Mercian and Argos should be cherished.

And I think that cyclists under middle age should argue and sneer at old fashioned ideas because that is one of the useful functions of youth. At least it proves there are still enough of us about to have an argument. A nice healthy sign.

If you like Carbon Fibre then Bless You.

I am saving up for a 54" ordinary.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
My 3 all steel steeds 531ST 531C and 520, I have 3 alu road bikes with cf forks as well, but the look of the old steel frames is classy. The modern steel tubed frames tend to use larger diameters to give a stiffer frame.

11089416416_4ca474d85a_c.jpg

9758673643_5143947e5f_c.jpg

11089423394_1085b637fe_c.jpg

Top Bottom