Steel Framed 'Racing Bike'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Is there such a thing?

The bike would be a sunny Sunday best, dry weather bike, so no need for guards etc. Realistically, rides would be limited to a couple of hours or so.

Most of the steel framed drop-bar bikes I see seem to be aimed at the long distance, all day in the saddle rider. I prefer something a bit racier, almost 'twitchy' from a handling point of view.

If I had up to £1000 to spend on a new bike and wanted a steel framed 'racer' what are my options?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
853 framed handbuilt. Roberts, Rourke, Yates, etc etc.

953 if you have a spare £1600

HovR

Über Member
colnago_master_pr82.jpg

:wub:

Bit expensive though.

Pottsy

I'd go Condor Acciaio. I know it's £749 frame and forks, but get a cheaper build done, maybe use some old components you already have and then you've got a great and very 'upgradeable' bike.

Note: I think complete builds probably start from £1299 or so.

Also get it in orange if possible. Steel road bikes look great in orange for some reason.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I'd go Condor Acciaio. I know it's £749 frame and forks, but get a cheaper build done, maybe use some old components you already have and then you've got a great and very 'upgradeable' bike.

That's worth a closer look, cheers. I'm hoping this thread will produce a few more names I'm not familiar with (the STW thread you linked already has done!)

It does look as if there's more options than I thought there would be. Excellent, let the internet browsing commence in earnest:smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Surly Pacer worth a look?

Top Bottom