Steel touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the used market you have to be oppertunistic. Whatever comes your way, if it fits and it fits the bill it should be OK.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
@Gunk, does the Titanium frame feel noticeably different/better to ride than a good butted 531 frame? What does it weigh in at in a ready-to-ride condition but with no water or luggage? My Royal weighs just under 28 lbs with mudguards, bottle cage and an alloy rack fitted, in stripped down summer mode it's under 26 lbs. That's a 23 1/2" size frame.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
MichaelW2 said:
In the used market you have to be opportunistic. Whatever comes your way, if it fits and it fits the bill it should be OK.

Absolutely, that's how you get the bargains and not overpay, but you have to be pragmatic, and maybe buy something slightly different from what you had planned. When I got my Raleigh Royal I had originally been looking out for a Galaxy, but nothing was going cheap that was even close to my size unless it was hundreds of miles away.
Then a neglected looking Royal appeared relatively local and cheap, so I took a punt. Glad I did because actually I reckon it rides nicer than a 531ST Galaxy I've tried.
Similar story with my Raleigh Gemini hybrid, I was watching for 501 Pioneers when it popped up. It was 22 1/2" not 23 1/2", but it was also only £20 for a 531 bike, so what's not to like? Rides lovely and makes a great grab'n'go reserve for when one of my others is out of action.

Gunk

Guru
@Gunk, does the Titanium frame feel noticeably different/better to ride than a good butted 531 frame? What does it weigh in at in a ready-to-ride condition but with no water or luggage? My Royal weighs just under 28 lbs with mudguards, bottle cage and an alloy rack fitted, in stripped down summer mode it's under 26 lbs. That's a 23 1/2" size frame.

It is very light, and yes it does feel a bit like a steel frame to ride. You do get the best of both worlds, without the rack and mudguards it weighs in at around 9kgs

Top Bottom