Steep climbs or time in the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
I'm training for my first "proper" cycle event. a 50mile cycle hilly cycle ride in June.

I'm starting from scratch and my training over the last few weeks has been mainly a flat 12 to 15 mile ride a couple of times a week plus a 20 to 25 mile hillier rider at weekends. Now the evenings are longer will obviously make it easier to stay out longer after work.

I'm not great on steep climbs. anything above 8% i huff and puff my way to the top, so i definately need to improve my climbing skills.

What's the key to event specific training? Is it the old adage of time in the saddle or is it more important to concentrate on climbs.

I'm used to marathon training, and the sunday run used to be the long slow run day. Does the cycling equivalent consist of mileage and time, or gradients?

Radius

SHREDDER
The more hills you climb the easier it will get. It's as simple as that really...just keep riding them.

a_n_t said:
Standing up for even 10ft or so gives my legs abit of a break. Stops "numbarse" on long climbs too.
Yip I'd agree with that, sometimes its nice to stand up occasionally to change the muscle groups you are using slightly to give your legs a bit of a break or as you say to relieve/ prevent "numbarse" :sad:

Back to the OP base miles are great but you also have to mix it with hillier rides as you are doing.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Spinning v Grinding is getting old. Find a gear that is comfortable for you and use it. I am convinced that this is no right or wrong answer - it s about body design, strength, stamina, etc, etc.

I would also suggest riding on rougher terrain than you will be cycling on (if your bike will allow it). I have of late been doing some hill climbing through forestry land and discovered that when I was back on the road again climbing was sooo much easier.

As for standing up - if your legs are screaming out why not for a short while - the more you hit the hills the less you will have to do it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
User3143 said:
Sit and spin a low gear, never stand up. Not only are you using more energy but you are reducing the amount of work your legs do.

Spinning is something to aim for, if you can do it. Exactly what gear you use is another question. I've always been a good climber, but back when I joined my club the first thing the club captain did was make me spin a lower gear when climbing. I hated it at first, but I am now a better climber.

However your second statement is, to be frank, complete bollocks. Knowing when to stand is an essential part of being a good climber, and it isn't the same for everyone. It may indeed use more energy, but if it's a choice between that and losing pace or even getting off and walking, you use more energy. That's what food is for, and why it is essential you eat sensibly before and during a hilly ride... And, as other people have said, it takes the pressure off certain muscles and uses others.

jimboalee

Flying_Monkey said:
Spinning is something to aim for, if you can do it. Exactly what gear you use is another question. I've always been a good climber, but back when I joined my club the first thing the club captain did was make me spin a lower gear when climbing. I hated it at first, but I am now a better climber.

However your second statement is, to be frank, complete bollocks. Knowing when to stand is an essential part of being a good climber, and it isn't the same for everyone. It may indeed use more energy, but if it's a choice between that and losing pace or even getting off and walking, you use more energy. That's what food is for, and why it is essential you eat sensibly before and during a hilly ride... And, as other people have said, it takes the pressure off certain muscles and uses others.

I thought we'd all agreed to STOP the "Bollocks" exclamations. These are not only rude, but an indicative show of ignorance.

The correct reaction to User3143's statements would be to explain the physical laws involved in lifting mass against gravity.

Yes, the spinning/grinding debate has been 'put to bed'. The question here is "what training is required to improve my climbing?" The answer is "Power work".
Whether you spin or grind, the faster you climb, the more power is required.
Doing "Power work" includes the dreaded 'pulling up on the backstroke'; and this is done standing up. Good cyclists can do it sitting down.

Then once you've burned them muscles, you need to rest them and feed them. Two days off and plenty of chicken and fish.

byegad

Legendary Member
It's been often said. 'Hills never hurt less, you just get up them quicker.'

Personally I always rode in the saddle spinning away in as low a gear as it took, the comments about getting out of the seat for a 'rest' never worked for me but I have never been a fast rider. Now I ride recumbent it's the same but in an even lower gear and much, much more comfortable up hill.

montage

God Almighty
Ahhh. Well for hill training, I just go up and down the same hill or two hills close by etc. I alternate the method I use for climbing each time. I.e. first one energy conserving, as if I were on a club run, second time, standing up sprint, then a slow one, then one pushing a big gear sitting down, etc etc etc

a_n_t

jimboalee said:
I thought we'd all agreed to STOP the "Bollocks" exclamations. These are not only rude, but an indicative show of ignorance.

must've missed that memo. ignorance? not as ignorant as that mis-informed "never stand up" reply!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
This is also a great way to end up with knees and torn quads.
User3143 said:
Wrong-this is what gears and fitness are for.

Everytime you get out of the saddle you throwing away the opportunity to build more power in your legs. Some of the best strength training you can do is to go up a big hill in a big gear this builds up power and riding long distances builds up your endurance.

One point that is often overlooked by new comers is that on longer rides on "lumpy terrain" a lot can be gained by going down hills as fast as possible to take momentum into the next one. Often, by the time you have to start pedalling hard up the hill, a surprising amount of it has been climbed already.

Please note that this does not work with the mountains of North Wales, but it is surprisingly effective when I go over the border into Cheshire or Shropshire.

Top Bottom