Steepest road routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I was just reading an entry about Toys Hill on this forum which started me thinking, what are the 5 steepest road routes in England, Scotland and Wales. I am guessing Hardknott Pass is the steepest for England. Hardknott Pass I am new to biking and I only just managed this one the other day. Moor Road to Rivington. If people could list what they think are the steepest with a Google map link that would be great. It can set me a challenge to complete over the next five years.

Can you plot the actual climb on Moor Road? Finding it hard to picture it from your link.

That's not far from me I heard of a climb near Anglezarke must be that one (~750ft?). I go through Rivvy park to Belmont regularly, its a nice steady climb with a good descent afterwards.

Yesterday I climbed The Rake (bottom of carr street to top of chapel lane) which is about 25%, quite tough.

I am not sure what the OP is actually referring too as there is no actual route plotted on that Google link. However, there is a climb on Moor Road as you turn away from Anglezarke, it kicks up to about 15-16% at the foot and drags on for maybe 1-2 mins, then there is a layby to your left and the road levels out and drags on up to a cross roads. I've done it a few times, I usually ride round in circles at the layby waiting for my girlfriend to get up the 1st steep bit. Never gone up the climb full tilt.

http://www.strava.com/segments/3020235?filter=overall

I am guessing the other climb you are referring to is Sheep House Ln/Rivington Road? That is a good climb but very exposed on the top section near the pike!

I love the Rake, but it can be a bit crappy on open roads as traffic often builds on the upper section. It is not at dramatic as people often make out, but makes a good course for a hill climb as the spectators are compressed into a smallish area on the upper slopes and you can see riders coming up from quite a distance, so makes for some good commentary.

Last edited:

dodgy

green1

Über Member
I've always wanted to attempt cycling up the Orme in Llandudno. I've always managed to find something better to do though. :cheers:

AdMaths

I'll call off the search for your lung then!!

Well done regardless!!

OK, Carman Hill from the easy side completed today. Despite running a 34/28 my lack of fitness shone through, especially after a quick tour around Red Road on the way out. There was also a touch of a breeze...

Anyway, psyched for an attempt from the Vale side now. Sort of.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
OK, Carman Hill from the easy side completed today. Despite running a 34/28 my lack of fitness shone through, especially after a quick tour around Red Road on the way out. There was also a touch of a breeze...

Anyway, psyched for an attempt from the Vale side now. Sort of.

Well done!! :wahhey::cheers::hyper:

Just be careful about the Renton side - I almost started to go backwards the last time I tried it!! :blush::laugh:

I was just thinking about this thread as I looked out of my window yesterday to see a vehicle driving up the Kipperoch Road about 2 miles away from me here in Dumbarton. It takes roughly the same route as Carman hill, but is nearer to Dumbarton (it is off the same main road as Carman (A812) is but is just outside Dumbarton at Dalmoak Farm and to be honest, it isn't very obvious at first as its nestled away at a corner and is the sort of road you only go up if you need to). Also it is not a through road as it ends at a farm at the top of the hill. It then continues as a farm path over the top for a mile or two. It then joins a road when you reach the next farm on the other side again and then eventually comes out at Cardross (the first road off you come too after arriving at Cardross).
It is a reasonable climb from the Dumbarton side to the farm regardless.

Might be one for a Mountainbike/Cross/Hybrid run, but I have only ever walked over it several times (and once got stared at by a Bull standing in the middle of the path somewhere on the top route. I was calculating if I could have jumped over a hedge into a nearby field if I needed too, but luckily it soon lost interest!!).
There is also a similar path that goes from Balloch to Cardross, but, annyway.

As for Red Road? What's that again? I need to get out on the bike once more, so I haven't been looking at any maps recently :blush::blush:

Last edited:

AdMaths

Well done!! :wahhey::cheers::hyper:

Just be careful about the Renton side - I almost started to go backwards the last time I tried it!! :blush::laugh:

As for Red Road? What's that again? I need to get out on the bike once more, so I haven't been looking at any maps recently :blush::blush:

I'll bear that in mind LOL

Red Road is off the A814 halfway between Helensburgh & Cardross, on the run up to the Crematorium (from the HB side) - nowhere near as steep as Carman though.
Another wheeze (literally) is the Peaton Road on the Pennisula, or the smoother MOD road from Coulport Roundabout.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thanks, yeah there are so many old/back roads out there that you will never be lost for choice!

I'll need to get out on my bike and explore once more!!

Top Bottom