Steepest road routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpjr

I was just reading an entry about Toys Hill on this forum which started me thinking, what are the 5 steepest road routes in England, Scotland and Wales. I am guessing Hardknott Pass is the steepest for England. Hardknott Pass I am new to biking and I only just managed this one the other day. Moor Road to Rivington. If people could list what they think are the steepest with a Google map link that would be great. It can set me a challenge to complete over the next five years.

theloafer

Legendary Member
applecross and cape wrath 108.jpg
applecross and cape wrath 112.jpg
applecross and cape wrath 113.jpg
applecross and cape wrath 115.jpg
applecross and cape wrath 117.jpg

we did applecross in 2006 a great climb

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This is one of my local hills which I sometimes try - it rises over 500 feet in just over a mile. If you look at the gradient profile (Click on 'SHOW' at the top), the worst side is from Renton (and boy is it STEEP!), so if you try it from there, GOOD LUCK!!:

http://www.bikely.co...ath/Carman-Hill

The views are good from the top and what's more, it turns off from the road out to Loch Lomond at Renton and also is just a short hop from the Cycle Track at Renton.

At the other side in Cardross, with the River Clyde right in front of you, turn left and you'll go back to Dumbarton, from where you can go back to Renton (and the hill), (or continue on towards Glasgow following the Clyde), or turn right and end up in Helensburgh and the way up to Loch Long and the Highlands, et al (as you also will on the Loch Lomond side).

With all the surrrounding roads and routes, the hill can be used as part of a big circular route, and best of all, there is a train station on both sides (Renton and Cardross), so if you over exert yourself, don't worry!!

As a hill, I can see it's potential for training coming in quite handy for me! :becool:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The "Devils Staircase" Abergwesyn Pass is the steepest road I have tried to ride.I think the steepest bits would be more than 30% with tight hairpins between them. You need iron legs to go up and a parachute on the way down. :ohmy: Devils Staircase

Garz

Squat Member
I was just reading an entry about Toys Hill on this forum which started me thinking, what are the 5 steepest road routes in England, Scotland and Wales. I am guessing Hardknott Pass is the steepest for England. Hardknott Pass I am new to biking and I only just managed this one the other day. Moor Road to Rivington. If people could list what they think are the steepest with a Google map link that would be great. It can set me a challenge to complete over the next five years.

That's not far from me I heard of a climb near Anglezarke must be that one (~750ft?). I go through Rivvy park to Belmont regularly, its a nice steady climb with a good descent afterwards.

Yesterday I climbed The Rake (bottom of carr street to top of chapel lane) which is about 25%, quite tough.

Just as an aside whats this with percentages for hill angle. Surely it should be degrees as percentage measures an amount of something. So 10% (for example) doesn't mean anything when applied to the steepness of a hill because it doesn't explain what the 10% is of?

killiekosmos

Veteran
Just as an aside whats this with percentages for hill angle. Surely it should be degrees as percentage measures an amount of something. So 10% (for example) doesn't mean anything when applied to the steepness of a hill because it doesn't explain what the 10% is of?

I think it goes like this.

10% = 1/10. or "one in ten" so altitude increases by one unit for every 10 units of road. So, using Pythagoras' Theorem, there is a right-angled triangle whose Opposite side (O) is 1, the Hypotenuse (H) is 10 and the Aajacent side (A) is the square root of 99 (10 squared minus 1 squared).

The sine of the angle of slope of the road is O/H. In this case sin (slope) is 0.1, so the slope is 5.7 degrees

20% would be 11.5 degrees

30% 17.4 degrees

40% 23.6 degrees

50% 30 degrees

You probably know, its distance up over distance across that gives the % gradient, so your right it is useful to know over what distance, max% or average % etc. With max thats usually only over a few meters, I'm not sure what street sign use as a distance and I forget what distance chevrons on a map are over. :smile:

zacklaws

Guru

Put even simpler:-

If you climb 1inch every 10 inch in distance, thats 10%
If you climb 10 inches every 100 inches, thats 10%
If you climb 10 meter in every 100 meters, thats 10%
If you climb 1 mile in every 10 miles thats 10%

And I'm drunk as a f**t at the moment

so a 25% sign indicates that you will climb, 25 meters in every 100 meters

I know meters is spelt wrong but I'm too drunk to work out how to spell it.

jamesxyz

Get this book, only a fiver - he measures toughest climbs by gradient, length, quality of surface and predominant weather conditions. It's a useful starting point for a discussion as he misses some obvios ones near me on the edge ofthe pennines and I'm sure everybody can think of ones near them that should be included but aren't (unless you live in the Fens:biggrin: )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Greates...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283710144&sr=1-1

Top Bottom