Steerer wear mark help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

My Steerer is worn where the split ring sits above the top bearing.
Greased and put back together but still some play in the forks.

I am wondering if once you get this type of wear does it then become impossible to get the play out of the forks and because you cant get the play out then this in turn increases the wear?

This is a pic off the internet to illustrate the problem, note my steerer is metal not carbon.

303376d1422789706-evo-forks-carbon-steerer-tube-wear-img_0560.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is your steerer that worn?

If it is then I would be considering a new fork anyway, as the thought of the tube shearing when travelling at speed and the consequences of loosing the steering control doesn't bear thinking about! If it is just very slight then I might consider taking a millimetre out of the split to allow it to close up a touch more.

Never seen this before and not sure how it would happen unless the bike has been used for a long time with play in the headset.

OP
OP
U

User6179

Is your steerer that worn?

If it is then I would be considering a new fork anyway, as the thought of the tube shearing when travelling at speed and the consequences of loosing the steering control doesn't bear thinking about! If it is just very slight then I might consider taking a millimetre out of the split to allow it to close up a touch more.

Never seen this before and not sure how it would happen unless the bike has been used for a long time with play in the headset.

Yes the steerer is worn, not as bad as in the pic but a noticeable groove all the way round.

I overtightened the headset I think and there was some clicking I noticed when turning the steering so opened up to grease and noticed the wear.

OP
OP
U

User6179

Me neither. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the split ring somehow got stuck in the head tube, so it didn't turn with the steerer, instead rubbing against it?

Yes I think that is a spot on summary.

OP
OP
U

User6179

Aye safety first, see what I can find online to replace but don't fancy second hand forks, need to do the bearings as well as they might be what caused the problem in the first place, although they feel fine.

Top Bottom