Stem bolt sheared in two.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geopat

Über Member
Bought my caad8 in Feb and tonight noticed one of the 4 small bolts holding the bars to the stem has sheared in 2 leaving half the bolt still in the threads.

Anyone know if guarantee will cover repair? Bike was ordered online and delivered hundreds of miles away unforunately...I know, should have bought locally.

Bike has also developed chain rub on the front derailleur again and no amount of turns on the adjustment screw seems to help. Begining to wish I'd stayed with Specialized.

Any advice welcome.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Wouldn't any cannondale dealer do work under warranty to extract and replace the bolt?

Chain rubbing is just gear adjustment. You'll need to do that yourself,or get a service.

Pauluk

I would expect the bike shop to fix it under warranty, but as it mail order I would ring and ask their advice. I wouldn't think it would cost a lot for a LBS to fix it though as removing the sheared bolt shouldn't be too difficult. May be the seller will cover the local cost of fixing.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Sheared stem bolt is a very dangerous failure - you must not ride it before it is fixed. If the bike is so new it certainly is a warranty issue unless it has been crashed or some ham fist had over-torqued it. If I were Cannondale I would want to know about it since if it is a systemic failure a batch recall will be necessary. I would suggest without mentioning the chain rub you write to your supplier and ask them to advice whether they would prefer repairing it themselves or paying for a repair local to you.

Taking sheared bolts out of a stem without damaging the stem could be a very tricky and time consuming operation with no certainty of success IME. Replacing the stem is likely the quickest as well as the most economic solution.

sidevalve

Über Member
The only question left is who tightened the stem bolts ? As above though the quickest way back on the road may just be a new stem.

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
Well can't get the bolt out the stem so it needs to be sent back to the shop ..... tempted just to get a new stem instead of the wait. Would any 110 mm stem be ok? Broken one is alloy.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Well can't get the bolt out the stem so it needs to be sent back to the shop ..... tempted just to get a new stem instead of the wait. Would any 110 mm stem be ok? Broken one is alloy.

Apart from it is for 1 1/8" steerer and 110mm long you will need to pick the rise (usually in degrees) and the handlebar diameter (usually either 25.4mm or 31.8mm but could be something else e.g. 26mm) it is designed to fit.

Top Bottom