Stem headset tightening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Andy in Germany, I've just checked both my bikes, both with threaded headsets and the order is (top to bottom)
Top Locknut
Spacer/Washer
Spacer/Washer
Bottom locknut

I think @rualexander is spot on above.

I am far removed from a bike mechanic, but I have disassembled one entire headset and replaced bearings.
It was one of the jobs where as many photos as possible would have helped. (I made lots of silly mistakes in order and bearings the wrong way up!)

However, once everything was in the correct order it took the guts of 2 weeks to get the headset handling the way I wanted and expected. It worked and was safe, but was too tight, too loose - The Goldilocks place was difficult to find. Someone has since explained to me that there is a bit of Black Magic involved in these things^_^ (when I say 2 weeks, some days were about 10 mins before I got frustrated).

I'm assuming this is the original headset and gave no problems before? If so, there's no reason to believe it is inferior. It's entirely possible a new headset will have the same issues - ie not a problem with the unit, more with the assembly.
A new headset is not so simple to buy. @rogerzilla is spot on about stack heights.

I did get a headset spanner (Aliexpress) before I did anything and coupled that with an adjustable spanner. 2 Dedicated spanners would be better for aesthetics.

To be boring, if your headset is coming loose when you ride, I would not be doing a mini-tour on that bike.

The good news is that once you're happy with it you won't need to go back to it again for a very long time!

Good luck!

@Andy in Germany, I've just checked both my bikes, both with threaded headsets and the order is (top to bottom)
Top Locknut
Spacer/Washer
Spacer/Washer
Bottom locknut

I think @rualexander is spot on above.

I am far removed from a bike mechanic, but I have disassembled one entire headset and replaced bearings.
It was one of the jobs where as many photos as possible would have helped. (I made lots of silly mistakes in order and bearings the wrong way up!)

However, once everything was in the correct order it took the guts of 2 weeks to get the headset handling the way I wanted and expected. It worked and was safe, but was too tight, too loose - The Goldilocks place was difficult to find. Someone has since explained to me that there is a bit of Black Magic involved in these things^_^ (when I say 2 weeks, some days were about 10 mins before I got frustrated).

I'm assuming this is the original headset and gave no problems before? If so, there's no reason to believe it is inferior. It's entirely possible a new headset will have the same issues - ie not a problem with the unit, more with the assembly.
A new headset is not so simple to buy. @rogerzilla is spot on about stack heights.

I did get a headset spanner (Aliexpress) before I did anything and coupled that with an adjustable spanner. 2 Dedicated spanners would be better for aesthetics.

To be boring, if your headset is coming loose when you ride, I would not be doing a mini-tour on that bike.

The good news is that once you're happy with it you won't need to go back to it again for a very long time!

Good luck!

Thanks for that. To be fair when I say 'mini' I mean in the sense of 'miniscule': A few kilometres from the railway station to where we are staying, and possibly a few more KM to where we may want to visit. Also in a pinch I know they'll have an adjustable spanner I can tighten things down with...

I've also removed the weird Locknut and am just using the top and bottom locknuts with the washer between and it seems to be working better.

Still too tight though...

Are Aliexpress headset spanners any good?

The Saga continues.

To remind people, here's the headset in question:

I've swapped the 'locknut' and the funny ring thing so now the funny ring that looks like a BB ring is against the adjustable race.

This has improved things. I can tighten things so I get free movement without rattling but it loosens fairly quickly.

When I wiggle the handlebars back and forth I notice the race sometimes turns with the handlebars but occasionally it stays still, so of course it is then turning on the screw and will loosen.

Having the funny ring lower down seems to reduce this but not eliminate it, as I can't tighten the rings against each other sufficiently.

Also the 'lockring' doesn't: it has about 3mm of play in the groove which doesn't help matters.

At the moment I'm thinking of trying the current combination for a few K and then taking out the Lockring when that doesn't work.

Alternatively, how involved is it to change either just the the lockring and locking nuts, leaving the adjustable race in place or all of the parts including the adjustable race, assuming that is just too worn: would I then need to start messing about with the head tube race?

Top Bottom