Stem length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

As for the fit. He took one look at me and said I wanted the 57cm frame. That was it. I'd already swotted up on YouTube videos and assumed I could do the finer tweaks. Maybe i should have made a fuss but tis done now.

I looked at MTBs and hybrids but wanted a proper road bike to do the ride London 100 on in august. I'll flip the stem and see what it feels like. I've discounted the one in the link as too short but could try something less extreme if need be.

The bike does not feel massively out. But a slight adjustment might give my wrists a break.

I used to ride motorbikes so I think my road sense isn't bad. But the brakes don't bite hard enough for me to cause a skid, so its not a tyre issue. Its probably a knackered weak ass wrist issue rather than the bike. Am seriously considering the cross levers

Lanzecki

Über Member
The guy at decathlon said the stem wasn't angled so flipping it would not make a difference, but he was gone in a nanosecond so I'm not sure I trust this opinion. Thanks for the feedback on the stem I posted. Maybe a bit short. I'll measure up my current one.
I think they are angled, but a picture will show us. Time to post a photo!

Widge

Baldy Go
Ah yes.............oversized clamp levers.....didn't see those:blush:! The ones in the OP weren't the right size 'though so I just rushed in...sorry.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Those cross-levers will not fit the Tribans oversized handle bars which will be too thick too near the middle. You will need to retrofit new standard (old-stylee) bars (and stem) to make them work.......in which case you may as well buy some wider flat bars....maybe some barends to improve control/comfort,then you will need different shifters (with the brake levers integrated?), new grips, cables...and then.........and so it goes, I'm afraid. You will however, end up with a skinny-tyred, uncomfortable and fragile overgeared hybrid which can't take decent sized tyres/mudguards or anything other than road-bike brakes...............................

Thanks. Very useful information. I did wonder about bar diameter. I'll forget the cross levers at least for now and see what flipping the stem does.

I'm cross with myself for letting the decathlon rep give me the brush off. But there is no point in going back now.

I went into this whole project eyes open and expecting to learn a lot along the way, which is why I love the triban as a not too crazy outlay for a new sport, but a good enough bit of kit to enjoy it.

I'm no way near the point of giving up on road bikes. I thought about hybrids but wanted something that would encourage me to push myself harder ( i think that makes sense). With the help of this forum I'm sure I'll get it set up right and start building up the weekly milage and my average speed.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

I am one of the many who have put a shorter stem on my T3 (as well as cross levers to deal with an emergency stop issue - I have poor grip on one hand following 11 ops over 15 years). Since putting a shorter stem on (I think I dropped to 80 or 90mmmm slightly more raised stem) and slightly narrower bars (the 44cm wide bars were way too wide for me being of narrow shoulders & female), the bike has been much more comfortable with me now able to cycle +100km days before I start to have ache issues at the back/spine shoulder joint. It is however, also much more twitchy with the steering, a symptom of narrower bars & shorter stem, something that does take getting used to.

My OH is still on the original stem and to be honest, still has issues even after 6 months. He looks too stretched out and I can't help thinking he would also be better off with a slightly shorter stem, but I would only drop him down 20-30mm. He is on the 60cm T3 and is 6ft exactly.

You may well be better off changing your brake blocks. the stock ones are not great IME and I have fitted were recommended back in September and whilst some may think £24.95 on brake blocks is a lot, being able to stop is much more important to me and I have done over 3,500km on these blocks since fitting them (used in all weathers) and they are still going strong and have plenty of life left in them yet,
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-brake-blocks-please.111349/#navigation

Thanks once again for valuable information. If flipping the stem does not work I'll be looking at a shorter one and your figures will be invaluable. To be honest I think its fairly likely. With my hands on the bars, if I move them aft a few cms it just feels better. But I want to take it step by step.

Cheers

S

Widge

Baldy Go
Yup....sorry If I came across a bit negative.....but I didn't want you to get caught out by changes and ill-considered upgrades too suddenly.
Take your time to make gradual progressive tweaks. You need time and miles before things begin to settle......and for the best I hope. I don't think your bike is a bus-ride out as far as fit goes.......perhaps you just need to get used to it. But pay attention to any lingering aches and pains........and don't change too much too soon. A flipped 90mm stem may well make all the difference. (Doesn't sound a lot...but it doesn't TAKE a lot to change the feel) Better rubber is a wise investment. Loads of info and wisdom on here :thumbsup:

Best

w

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Its not as if you've never seen one before!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364767608686.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364767608686.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364767630183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364767630183.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364767642264.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364767642264.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Just flipped the stem and it has made quite a difference. My 57cm bike had a 100mm stem. Will check it out on a longish ride tomorrow and see if I need to buy an 80mm.

Although braking is better i have also bought some tektro rl721 cross brake levers. Points on this forum that swung it were being able to brake and signal, and just having the power without having to twist my slightly knackered wrists.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just flipped the stem and it has made quite a difference. My 57cm bike had a 100mm stem. Will check it out on a longish ride tomorrow and see if I need to buy an 80mm.

Although braking is better i have also bought some tektro rl721 cross brake levers. Points on this forum that swung it were being able to brake and signal, and just having the power without having to twist my slightly knackered wrists.

The Tektro levers are superb - they came as standard on my CX bike and they are very useful esp' when riding through town etc when I tend to be on the tops of the bars.

I reckon if more riders gave them a go they'd fall in love with them.

I don't think they are 'cool' though!

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

The Tektro levers are superb - they came as standard on my CX bike and they are very useful esp' when riding through town etc when I tend to be on the tops of the bars.

I reckon if more riders gave them a go they'd fall in love with them.

I don't think they are 'cool' though!

No, definitely not cool. I was surrounded by carbon cyclists waiting at the lights the other day and did not so much as get a nod. We all just stood there not making eye contact. Bit like the tube. I felt like pointing out that I had carbon forks, a proper hat and was even wearing Lycra, but deep down I knew my pedals and cross levers had destroyed my rep.

But having done a few miles I'm really pleased. Did 21 miles today. A new record. As u say, great in town. If any lemmings leap out, I feel I can react in time.
esuzaruj.jpg
ba4avy6a.jpg

I'm liking the cyclo cross vibe more and more actually. Good on road, but not limited to it.