Stem Length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Which is why wider bars were my suggestion.Did you put wider bars on? Shorten the stem with narrow bars and you simply make steering more difficult.

@Hacienda71 You are welcome to come over and try any number of different combinations of stem and bar widths, it's only an hour or so from leafy Cheshire, and there are some good little spots for you to try the combinations out. I have 710, 720, 740, 750 and 780mm bars, plus 50, 60 and 70mm stems to go at.
Thanks Cubist I may take you up on it. Will give Dan's slightly shorter stem a go first then take it from there. Haven't had a chance to check my existing bar width yet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a solarstorm u2 x2 and a u2 x3.:becool: Have never ridden in t dark on single track though. :blush:

Give us a shout if going. Then again my MTB has guards on but will take Clayton as it is

Cubist

Still wavin'
:ohmy:

Just been looking at the On One stems and they look like decent kit. Light and hopefully strong. Might have a punt on a 50mm and see if it livens the steering up.

Yep, my HT has 720 Answer carbons on, Cubester's AM susser has 740 Funn Full Ons, Cubette's XC bike has 710 Funn, Fat Boys, my Ibis has 780mm Knuckleballs and I've got a spare 750mm FatBoy knocking around the workbench.

As for stems, well, we'd be pulling them off the bikes anyway. Quality wise, my favourite stem is the Superstar Zenith, which is CNCd loveliness for not a lot of money, but the On Ones CNC are identical, clearly out of the same factory, and cost about half the price. A mate of mine has one and the only difference is the logo and faceplate.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
OK Mondays and Thursdays aren't good for me but other than that most evenings are possible.

e-rider

crappy member
Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefits of short versus long stem length on a mtb?
I have a 2004 Stumpjumper Fsr Expert acquired from a mate who has upgraded. The stem length on it is 120mm with 6 degrees of lift. Whilst I can ride it comfortably I do feel quite pitched forward on descents. This may be due to me being technically not that sound, but I do wonder if a shorter stem would help.
ride with 1cm less than what the 'experts' say!

Top Bottom