Stem Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not something I've really considered since the days of stem-bolts, but............

With regard to 'modern' (clamp-on) stems, are they all the same height?
Ie; the section that clamps onto the steerer tube

I ask, as I'm going to look at a frame tomorrow, to replace my self-destructed CGR in a shop in North Yorkshire, & it seems that the frames are in stock
So, if I ask them to fir a head-set, they can cut the steerer-tube to length
(I cut my last one, with a 'pipe-cutter)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No, I have fallen foul to that mistake. I cycled over to a friend to swap a stem over for him. I had to go back for spacers when the new stem was not as tall as the old.

P.S. Using a pipe cutter is fine.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Unless you expect to slam the stem, the key measurement you'll need to know and share with the shop (to inform the length of steerer tube when cut) is how high you want to be able to fit the/a stem (some say that (at minimum) a 5mm spacer on top of the stem clamp is good practice).

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes, so my (your) 'how high' refers to literally that: above ground zero (assumes your saddle height above the ground is the same for both bikes).
The frame head angle will be so similar that a useful measurement you could make is from the front axle centre to the preferred height of the handlebars and take account of stem length and angle. The shop should be able to replicate that geometry and cut accordingly.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The new frame (if i buy it) might have a slightly taller head-tube/front end than my CGR

are you reusing your existing fork? Is that the question?

I wouldn't get them to do any cutting without having all the bits - forks stem spacers etc with them. Measure twice cut once, and yes leave a 5mm spacer on the top, potentially more if you every think you might want to resell it and you don't have much spacer below the stem

Top Bottom