Stem Spacer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, wasnt sure where to post it.

I recently picked up a Giant Propel, it was advertised as a L but when I went to collect the sticker was M/L, I'm 6ft 1 and the size guide shows I should be fine on it which is why I continued the purchase.

I've only had a few rides due to weather and the first thing I notice is the handle bars seem quite low, (I was originally looking for a TCR but the propel came up) would I be able to add a couple of spacers just to make it a bit more comfortable, could anyone give me a link for the spacers please.

Pretty sure there will be a video on how to fit the spacers but guess its stem off, spacer on, stem back on

Thanks

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You shouldn't need any, because if there's room on the steerer to move the stem up, you'll have spacers above the stem, and you just shuffle things about.
If there aren't spacers above, then you need to flip the stem if it's not pointing up already, or get a riser stem of some sort. Or riser bars.
Can you post a photo of the front end as-is? Be easier to explore the options if we know what we're dealing with:okay:

Sharky

Guru
No you can't add spacers. If you currently have spacers above the stem, you can swap the order and move them below.

Or depending on the degree rise of the stem, you can flip it to give a greater rise or replace it with a high rise stem.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is this it? I think you might be stuffed as the stem doesn’t have spacers. Might be possible to use a different stem with a riser although it won’t integrate with the frame so well. I’m surprised you didn’t sus this when choosing the bike as it has a typical ‘bum in the air’ aggressive position.

1C4BD215-7AD2-4A9B-98D8-3FB84D8F62E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Some of the latest gravel bars rise up a bit from the centre (they have a name but can't recall it) but even that won't produce much of an uplift.
What you have is the fad / craze / fashion of "slamming the stem".

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Is this it? I think you might be stuffed as the stem doesn’t have spacers. Might be possible to use a different stem with a riser although it won’t integrate with the frame so well. I’m surprised you didn’t sus this when choosing the bike as it has a typical ‘bum in the air’ aggressive position.

View attachment 571520
:eek: That's a...somewhat challenging riding position.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Propel has a silly/aerodynamic* handlebar & stem set up so once you've decided the bar height by removing spacers you have to cut the stem down to get the cover back on, there is no storing a spacer or two above the bars like on a normal setup, any removes any flexibility for initally getting that wrong or for if you sell it on (aside from buying a new uncut fork and starting again).

So basically the OP is stuck with what he's bought, unless he wants to buy a new Propel fork.. The Propel is all about aero and stiffness and nothing about comfort....

* delete as applicable

OP
OP
F

fattony

Thanks guys, I have tweaked the saddle a few times but not managed to get back out since I last did it (awaiting better weather)

ive attached a couple of photos

Attachments

• FD440967-662E-4D6F-8582-E10F31D03099.jpeg
    FD440967-662E-4D6F-8582-E10F31D03099.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 138F6A34-72BA-49A9-BB7E-C5A9D7964071.jpeg
    138F6A34-72BA-49A9-BB7E-C5A9D7964071.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 19
  • BD6BC3CA-7EF8-4E71-A20F-9C5D3D2914CC.jpeg
    BD6BC3CA-7EF8-4E71-A20F-9C5D3D2914CC.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom