Stem Spacer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

fattony

Does the height difference between saddle and drop bars look a lot?

The stem looks fairly straight so I think it’s going to be a new stem, want to ride it in the current setup but waiting for a decent day

Invert the stem. If you require more rise than that provides the next step is to purchase a stem with the reach and rise to put your bars where you want them. Be aware that your cables were cut to a length which fits the current bar placement - if you relocate your bars it's likely that you'll need to lengthen one or more of your cables.

DRM

Guru
Can I ask is it a carbon frame? if it is for god's sake take that clamp off the top tube, you'll destroy it! also the stem looks like it's at it's highest point, it's a full on race bike, so would usually be ridden with the stem slammed, the Defy is a more relaxed setup ,but I think the bars on mine are lower than that is right now

OP
OP
F

fattony

Can I ask is it a carbon frame? if it is for god's sake take that clamp off the top tube, you'll destroy it! also the stem looks like it's at it's highest point, it's a full on race bike, so would usually be ridden with the stem slammed, the Defy is a more relaxed setup ,but I think the bars on mine are lower than that is right now

yes it is carbon.... it’s not on tight so it’s not crushing the top tube, is that what your thinking?

DRM

Guru
yes it is carbon.... it’s not on tight so it’s not crushing the top tube, is that what your thinking?
Yes, it's not designed to withstand any crushing forces at all, if using a repair stand, hang it by the seat post so long as it's aluminium

That’s a 7/8 degree stem so by flipping it you will gain about 14/16 degree rise but you’ll then need to compensate for the increased reach it creates.

OP
OP
F

fattony

That’s a 7/8 degree stem so by flipping it you will gain about 14/16 degree rise but you’ll then need to compensate for the increased reach it creates.

Christ you sound like you know what your stems!
As I say I’m just looking for options and it seems I have some.

OP
OP
F

fattony

Yes, it's not designed to withstand any crushing forces at all, if using a repair stand, hang it by the seat post so long as it's aluminium

its more a case it’s sitting in the clamp with the top closed, I’m pretty confident the bike would slide forward and backward through the clamp

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
always open to opinions as options are always there to sell and replace if that turns out to be right.

Can I ask why you say that?
It's an aggressively low aero frame with a short headtube and a stack of at least 40mm of spacers under the stem which you believe seems low. - You're trying to raise it.

OP
OP
F

fattony

Lots of advice and opinions, thank you, I’ll try the new saddle position, if it’s no good I’ll invert the stem, if still I’m not a fan then I’ll sell it, simple as.

Can I just clarify if the clamp should be removed?

Top Bottom