Stem Spacer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Propel has a silly/aerodynamic* handlebar & stem set up so once you've decided the bar height by removing spacers you have to cut the stem down to get the cover back on, there is no storing a spacer or two above the bars like on a normal setup, any removes any flexibility for initally getting that wrong or for if you sell it on (aside from buying a new uncut fork and starting again).

So basically the OP is stuck with what he's bought, unless he wants to buy a new Propel fork.. The Propel is all about aero and stiffness and nothing about comfort....

* delete as applicable
I was too doom and gloom there, yours doesn't have the propriety stem and the steerer hasn't been cut down (you have lots of spacers under the stem) but it is as high as it goes.

As said above flip the stem if needed, watch this to make sure you tighten the bolts / top cap in correct order.

DRM is being a little bit dramatic, its fine for storage as long as not tightened, just rested on the clamp, but don't use it as a work clamp when you might be applying force against it.

It is quite an aggressive position bike but might work for you in time, as flexibility improves and your user name changes to "lessfattony" :okay:, Really something with a taller head-tube and more "relaxed" position might have been better if you are just getting into road biking.

OP
OP
F

fattony

I was too doom and gloom there, yours doesn't have the propriety stem and the steerer hasn't been cut down (you have lots of spacers under the stem) but it is as high as it goes.

As said above flip the stem if needed, watch this to make sure you tighten the bolts / top cap in correct order.

DRM is being a little bit dramatic, its fine for storage as long as not tightened, just rested on the clamp, but don't use it as a work clamp when you might be applying force against it.

It is quite an aggressive position bike but might work for you in time, as flexibility improves and your user name changes to "lessfattony" :okay:, Really something with a taller head-tube and more "relaxed" position might have been better if you are just getting into road biking.

That’s fair enough, I’m not as fat as I was 6ft 1, 13.5 stone and been road cycling 2 years now.

I think it’ll be fine just need to know what options I had

thanks

DRM

Guru

Not being dramatic, that frame IS CLAMPED ROUND THE TOP TUBE, easily destroyed by forcing carbon fibre to do what it it's not designed to, but hey ho it's not my bike.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Reach is a static measurement unaffected by the stem

Yes, reach measured from the point where it dissects the stack to where the front fork joins the frame is static but the reach to the handlebar hoods will change.

Yes, reach measured from the point where it dissects the stack to where the front fork joins the frame is static but the reach to the handlebar hoods will change.
'Reach'. The distance from the centre of the seat post to the centre of the handlebar clamp measured horizontally. Is not affected by flipping the stem.

Unless..... the head angle and seat angle are substantially different (which is a philosophical point really because it's extremely unlikely, rare and unusual) in which instance the angle and length of the stem would have a bearing. But in 99% of cases, as in this instance, flipping the stem has no effect on the reach.

Top Bottom