Stem with hole in it for canti brake use, Aheadset type.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Probably not for a threadless fork, since the industry had moved to V-brakes by then. Headset hanger? Uphanger?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can get either a headset spacer with the hanger built in (what is on my CX bike) or the up hangers which bolt to the brake/mudguard hole in the crown. If you havent got a hole, then its the headset spacer only.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Many years ago I drilled & tapped a quill stem for that reason. But that was in the days of cables looping out of the top of the levers (it was for the double front brake of a trike).

presta

Guru
There's a thought, I used to have an adjustable stem with a threaded hole in and wondered what it was for. A PITA having to change the cable length every time you adjust the bars though.

Gunk

Guru
You can get either a headset spacer with the hanger built in (what is on my CX bike) or the up hangers which bolt to the brake/mudguard hole in the crown. If you havent got a hole, then its the headset spacer only.

My Van Nic has one fitted

image.jpg

image.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
But ensure the yoke cannot, under any circumstances, contact the hanger. If this happens, braking power stops right there. Which means the bike probably doesn't stop right there.

Top Bottom