Stephen Roche

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Every time I hear him on Eurosport he comes over as a smug, sarcastic know-all. By the way, I'm allowed to be personally insulting, as cyclingnews have given him space to do the same to Cav in a strange, non-article.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/st.../my-love-hate-feelings-towards-mark-cavendish

Apparently the Roche 'hate' bit is due to the fact that Cavendish doesn't look into the camera during interviews and he always thanks his team-mates after a win.

He came over as less than appealing in Nico's book too.

Nobber, as Noodley might say.

Noodley

...and a drug cheat nobber at that.

Great rider, suss piece of journalism. Perhaps CyclingNews could give me some column space to write about odd things people do which make me dislike them without even knowing them. I could keep going forever.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You do realise this is a blog don't you? No 'journalism'. This is pure, unvarnished Roche, and I'm afraid Roche, great rider though he was, is a complete dipshit when it comes to analysis (cf. also his recent comments about the problems afflicting pro-cycling).

You do realise this is a blog don't you? No 'journalism'. This is pure, unvarnished Roche, and I'm afraid Roche, great rider though he was, is a complete dipshit when it comes to analysis (cf. also his recent comments about the problems afflicting pro-cycling).

Yeah, it's a cycling news blog isn't it, correct me if I'm wrong. Just like blogs on other news sites. You may see some nuanced difference that I don't but it's journalism, CyclingNews's journalism rather than Roche being a journalist, which he plainly isn't. I care not for the finer points of definition, it's news, in a news website ergo it's journalism.

Noodley

Just highlighting why blog's should be banned!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yeah, it's a cycling news blog isn't it, correct me if I'm wrong. Just like blogs on other news sites. You may see some nuanced difference that I don't but it's journalism, CyclingNews's journalism rather than Roche being a journalist, which he plainly isn't. I care not for the finer points of definition, it's news, in a news website ergo it's journalism.

I think I'll leave you to your weird definitional arguments which apparently you aren't interested in... ;)

raindog

er.....
Dizzy heights? Eleven posts - and that includes the whinge from you and two or three that are just inter-bickering. :laugh:
If the remarks had been made against an Italian rider, I'm sure there would've been posting to dizzy heights on Italian forums. Same for French, Spanish etc etc.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There's a lot of bitterness in Roche. Injury and poor career decisions meant he failed to capitalise on his golden year in '87 and he seems to have developed a resentment of the other English speakers who've reached the top. I recall him being quite critical of Lemond on a few occassions too.

Roche is paid to have opinions - and if he's getting a reaction (which he appears to be) then he is obviously doing his job. Give it another 10 years and Cav will be doing exactly the same thing...

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Some years back when the Prutour had a Sportive, Stephen Roche was the celebrity guest rider. At the end of the ride he held an "open session" where you could ask him anything about cycle racing etc. I was one of the last riders to finish and he'd obviously been doing it for some time, but he was interesting in what he said, friendly and patient answering questions he must have had several times.

festival

Über Member
Why do people have to use words like "love and hate" when they clearly don't do either.
If Roche doesn't want to be " too dramatic about it" then he shouldn't use these words.

Top Bottom